9• Driving

"Do you swear and acknowledge Lucifer to be your true and lawful Lord ?" The goat man repeated again.

Colby closed his eyes.

"I do."

***

"Arise, brother Cole," The man said at last, after they were done with the other pledges.

Colby was released and made to stand up, just like Sam before him. The goat man then moved to the other boys, and repeated the same process with each of them.

"Arise, brother Jake."

"...brother Aaron."

"...brother Elton."

"...brother Corey."

"...brother Nik."

"...brother Brennen."

"Hail Satan !" He said in the end, concluding the ritual.

"Hail Satan !" Repeated all the men. The eight friends were all standing now, and the drum rolls had resumed in the background.

But just when they thought the ceremony was finally over, two more men in black capes walked up to them. Each was holding a long silver cup, with two hands, each cup filled with a liquid that they were unable to identify. Starting with the beginning of the row, again, they stopped in front of Sam.

"Drink from the blessings of your Lord !" said the man in the goat mask. "Let the holy mixture of pure virgin blood infiltrate your body, spread in your veins, and feed your heart."

The man holding the cup of blood held it out to Sam.

What the hell?? They aren't asking me to drink blood from those murdered girls. Are they ???

"And drink from the blessings of your Lord !" the goat man went on. "Let the energy from the holy milk take over your soul, and surrender your being to its powers. Drink, brother !"

Sam remained motionless.

"Take the cup and have a sip," hissed the man with the blood, pushing the cup into Sam's hand.

"You have taken an oath," the second man reminded him. The cup he was holding contained fresh goat milk. "Break it, and get ready for the wrath of Satan to fall upon you. And know that we, His soldiers, shall not let such a huge offense go unpunished."

As much as Sam didn't want to, he had to admit that the smartest decision would be to just obey the command, again. Just like he and his friends had done during the whole ceremony. And besides, he had a good feeling that this was going to be the last step of the rituals.

And so, he brought the cup to his lips, shut his eyes tight, and drank.

_____________

The ordeal was finally over.

The eight boys were walking back towards the winding road, led by two of the brawny men who had taken them to the forest on the outward journey. The third, who had filmed the whole ceremony with his camera, had stayed at the clearing, along with all the men in black capes, the two other cameramen, and the man in the goat mask.

The latter had concluded the ceremony by asking the eight new members to put their hoods back on, and had chanted a few more incantations; then, they were finally freed, and the two brawny men, who had stood at the back during the whole ceremony, had walked them away.

The sound of the drum rolls still echoed in the background, accompanying them as they slowly proceeded through the trees, the bushes and the dark shadows.