14• Salt

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, this ^ (picture above) is what Colby saw on his phone.
__________

It was noon, and it was sunny.

The blue haired boy was sitting at a picnic table, in a quiet neighbourhood park, idly tapping his fingers against the wood. A few children were playing in a nearby playground, and their noisy games was his only occupation as he waited, alone on his bench.

It wasn't long before the shape of a familiar boy appeared from behind the trees that bordered the far side of the fenced playground, and a moment later, Colby came into sight on the visible part of the path. He didn't return the smile that the boy at the picnic table gave him, causing the latter's dark eyebrows to furrow as he watched him walk up silently.

"Hi Sam," The brown haired boy greeted as he flopped onto the opposite bench. "Thanks for coming."

"No problem mate," Sam replied, his frown increasing as he stared at the concerningly unwell looking boy. "My God, Colby, are you okay ? What happened to you ?"

Colby sighed.

"I'm going to tell you. That's why I asked you to come here, remember ?"

"Yeah, alright."

"You don't have your phone, right?" Colby asked.

"Well, you asked me not to bring it," Sam replied, and Colby noticeably relaxed a bit. "Which is pretty concerning by the way. Are you being attacked by hackers or something ?"

"No... It's a lot worse than that."

He went silent for a few seconds, then lowered his voice as he spoke again.

"I got contacted by the Illuminati, and now they're forcing me to work for them."

The unexpected information almost startled the blue haired boy out of his seat. He suddenly stood up, yanked a silver device out of his pocket, swung his arm and threw it as far as he could in the green lawn. A mixture of fear and anger overtook Colby, who jumped up and took a few steps back, his limbs shaking.

"You said you didn't bring it !" He exclaimed, his voice raspy from lack of use of loud volumes in too long.

"I'm sorry !" Sam replied, genuinely remorsful. "I swear I wasn't going to ! I realised it was still in my pocket only on the way over, and if I went back home it would have taken too long. And I didn't realise it was that serious !"

Colby took a while to process the apology, his mind too busy trying to calm down the panic that coursed through his veins. He eventually decided to accept it, and gingerly came back to the table.

"They're watching me," He said, staring at his hands in his lap. "They can't hear me talk about this !"

"I know. I'm sorry," Sam said again, sitting back down.

"It's okay."

"So... When did it happen ?"

"Recently. They first contacted me about two weeks ago, and now... They're already giving me my first assignments."

Sam looked down, staring pensively at the table.

"And why did you want to see me ?" He asked, his eyes jumping back at Colby.

"I thought I could use help from someone who knows a little more about it."

Sam recoiled slightly, visibly uncomfortable. "How did you know ?"

"Why are you so surprised ?" Colby asked. "Your youtube intro. It was actually really obvious. I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner."

"Oh," was all Sam said. He silently returned to his absent minded study of the wooden table.