24• The Diary

One week earlier
     -Saturday afternoon.

Brennen stepped out of his car, locking it behind him, then opened the gate of the traphouse, which for some reason, the insouciant boys always left unlocked, and walked up to the wooden doors. As he lifted his arm to knock, the door opened, revealing a smiling Corey and a happy Aaron, both wearing sport shorts.

"Oh hey Brennen !" They exclaimed. "How you doing ?"

"I'm good, thanks," Brennen replied, smiling back at them.

"You came to see Colby ?" Corey asked as he walked towards his car, followed by his friend.

"Yeah. Is he home ?"

"He's always home," Aaron replied, a wave of sadness crossing his face. He noticed Brennen's camera and frowned. "Did you come to film a video with him??"

"Yes, why ?... Why are you looking at me like that ?"

"Bro..." started Corey with a painful chuckle, as he and Aaron opened the car's front doors. "I don't think... I don't think now would be the best time."

"Why ? Did something happen ?"

"I don't know. But you can always try and see him..."

"Alright," said Brennen, still worried by their surprised stares. "See you later guys !"

A deadly silence reigned in the large, high-walled house as Brennen walked in, and the young man started getting a bad feeling. What do they mean Colby's not okay ? Did something happen to him ? Did he relapse again ? Colby hadn't replied to Brennen's texts telling him that he was coming over, and Brennen hadn't thought much of it, but now he was starting to get worried.

Heading towards the bedrooms, he met Jake on his way upstairs. Just like Aaron, the latter stopped in his tracks at the sight of Brennen's camera.

"Did you come to film with Colby ?"

"Yes, why ?" Brennen asked, slightly uncomfortable by the pink-haired boy's glare at his black device.

"Did he tell you he wanted you over ?"

"Yes," Brennen replied. That wasn't fully a lie, because Colby did say the previous week that he was down to be in his vlog this weekend.

Jake shook his head in disbelief, and resumed his walk down the stairs, the sound of his loud steps soon followed by the front door slamming behind him.

Brennen decided to ignore Jake's attitude and continued towards Colby's room. He hesitated for a second before calling his name.

"Colby ? It's me, Brennen. Can I come in ?"

No reply. Brennen waited for a few seconds, and when they turned into a minute, he decided to call again.

"Colby ? Are you there ?"

This time, shuffling was heard inside the room, and a moment later, the sound of the key in the lock.

And the door opened, revealing a hunched Colby, wrapped in a black hoodie, the cord of its hood tied tightly, hiding his face. His hands, which hung sheepishly on either side of his body, shook as if with cold. In one of them was a yellow lighter that his fingers were nervously fidgeting with.

He didn't look up at his friend as he uttered an almost silent, "Hi Brennen."

"Hi Colby," Brennen greeted back, his concern already rising. "How are you ?"

Colby didn't reply, but he walked back a few steps, letting Brennen come in.

The bedroom was in the worst state Brennen had ever seen it. Nothing besides the bed and the desk was at its usual place. The couch laid upside down on the ground, the floor was littered in all sorts of objects, most of which were broken, and clothes were scattered all over the place. There was a mouldy loaf of bread and croissant in a dusty plate on one of the shelves.