11• Email

The slamming sound was still echoing in Sam's head as he finally decided he had been staring at the bedroom door for too long.

He wasn't mad at his roommate. He was just still having trouble processing.

From the gloomy trailer, the forest and the bloody ceremony, to the accident, the night had been... traumatizing, to say the least. And it had felt like time was dragging, but now that they were back, Sam realised that everything had actually gone really quickly.

Barely a few hours ago, on that same Sunday, he and his friends were still in this room, getting mentally ready for what they didn't know was going to change their life forever. The next moment, they were miles away, living one of the worst nightmares imaginable, and now they were back. Everything was just the way they had left it. The empty pizza boxes still littered the floor, and even the smell lingered.

It wasn't long before heavy tears started filling Sam's eyes again, and he realised he didn't know what to do about it. Keeping on crying won't solve anything, he thought, and it's probably not a good idea to remain depressed forever... But then again, will I ever be relieved of this burden ? Not even time could ever take this pain off. And even if I try holding it in, sooner or later I will have to externalise somehow.

Is this how my life is going to be, from now on ?

The blonde trudged to the window as memories of the previous day came to his mind. He had spent the major part of it sitting right there, on the floor, watching the sky in the horizon. Sam put his hands on the cold glass, desperately trying to decide on what to do, letting his tears pour in the meantime. As he looked down at the street below, Sam noticed for the first time how interesting the high altitude actually was.

But as if on cue, right at that moment, a badly hidden sob escaped the adjacent room, and that was enough to make him brush the idea off.

The other thoughts that overwhelmed his mind, however, wouldn't leave him alone. Terrifying flashbacks of the bloody ritual and the car accident slowly started coming back, and the atmosphere in the room did not help. The place was too tight, the air was too heavy, and the smell of pizza made him suffocate.

I need to go out, Sam figured.

Without thinking twice, he grabbed his keys from where they hung on the wall behind the front door, and put his shoes back on. A second later, he was out of the apartment.

The gentle wind greeted him as he opened the last door to the outside. He soon reached the street, and glanced sadly at the spot where the Uber had been, barely fifteen minutes ago. He decided to go in the opposite direction, making sure to pull his hood down onto his face. The last thing he wanted was someone recognising him.

______________

Colby leaned against the bedroom door, his face covered by his wet hands. He wasn't surprised to hear the front door again, as he knew Sam would leave sooner or later anyway, and he was glad that he was gone. He felt sorry for his friend, of course. He felt sorry for all his friends. But he didn't want to see anyone right then.

Just like Sam, he too felt like everything had gone so fast. And as unreal as it all felt, now that they were back home, it didn't mean that it was over. It was only the beginning.

He raised his head, squeezed his eyes to clear his blurry vision and looked around. His eyebrows instantly furrowed at the sight he was met with.

Something wasn't right. Something isn't right!! He growled inwardly, clenching his fists.

Beside Sam's bed that hadn't been made, everything in the room was neat and tidy. Just like it was when he had left.

Just like it was when we left !!!