Ch. 24: What I'm Fighting For

Your POV

I ran across the court yard, my gaze not faltering off the sight of the private infirmary. My muscles stung with every continuing pace I took. The impact of my feet hitting the ground as I ran jarred my knees, making them ache, but I knew I had to ignore it. I held Shouto's sickly face close to my body to prevent his head from snapping back as I ran. The entrance of the infirmary became clear and I foolishly smiled, thinking I had made it.

All of a sudden a man with a mask decorated with steel pipes appeared in front of me. He looked as if he was twice my size and was rather intimidating. He stood staring at the ground, but I felt as if he could see through the ground and right into my sole. I froze and analyzed the area, hoping to find a different route. We were so close!

"I'm impressed with your associates— they managed to take down Tomura, Kurogiri, and three Nomus. You should be proud too, you managed to complete your rescue mission... well almost," the giant chuckled. I could feel Shouto began to shift in my arms and I hugged him tighter, hoping he wouldn't wake up to see this monstrosity.

"I don't want to fight you, I just want to get to the infirmary," I stated honestly, but this man seemed as if he could care less of my intentions.

"War isn't about whether or not you want to fight. If you have something to protect, you always have to fight," His voice swooped lower as he looked up.

"Just let me through and this won't have to get messy. I'd rather not kill you," I snarled with irritation.

"Ha!" He laughed, catching me off guard. "You think you, a lowly, little girl, can kill me?! You must be dreadfully insane!"

"Some have described me as that, so I guess you're right. Frankly, I don't think I would be alive still if I wasn't at least a little insane," I chuckled.

"Hmm, you have a smart mouth there. You best be careful spilling out words like those— some might think they're fighting words," he confidently placed his arms behind his back, leaving him in an evidently vulnerable position... I wouldn't fall for it, obviously this man had me beat in strength.

"Looks like you're not going to leave me on my own, until I'm dead. I guess I'll have to dirty my hands a bit," I sighed. I held a confident exterior, but I was quavering on the inside. This could be the day I died... I had to make it worthwhile.

"I'm excited to see the power of the Walking Nightmare herself!" The man exclaimed.

"Yeah, I'm excited to see it too," I snapped back. He seemed rather entertained by my witty remarks, so I intended to use them to my advantage. Suddenly, he disappeared and I felt a shiver run down my spine.

"You really should pay more attention, young one," the man grinned as he shot needles through my body, only to be confused by the lack of reaction. "What... why isn't this working"

"I thought you knew about the Walking Nightmare? Obviously you don't," I smirked as what he thought was me disappeared to reveal me setting Shouto down a few yards away from our prosecutor.

"Hmmm, you seem to have mastered the art of illusion and making yourself invisible... I was unaware you could change the appearances of others. No matter though, All Might can't even defeat me, so what could a scrappy girl like you do?" The man cackled. Panic shot through my body as I recalled stories of this monster. This was no ordinary delinquent... this was the infamous All for One!

"A whole heck of a lot of damage, that's what I can do," I tried to remain constant, but my breath shook. Shouto began moving on the ground, slowly waking up. I swiftly bent down to lull him back to sleep, making us invisible and cancelling our sound.