Chapter Six

"Troye, we're ready for you over here." My shoot director calls me over to the platform. "Just position yourself in the centre and we'll go from there."

I did as asked but my entire body sagged under the weight of exhaustion. After Jack and my encounter, if you could even call it that, I spent the weekend holed up in my room with nothing but an assortment of emotions playing on my mind.

Having emerged only this morning, I spent an hour in makeup alone as my team worked on masking the bags under my eyes and my sleep-deprived appearance.

As grateful as I was for Jack's assistance, I was constantly being torn between my morals and my desires.

I knew it was unfair of me to repeatedly put Jack in such a position but at the same time, I wanted to gain experience in these things so that Gabriel, or any other guy I meet, wouldn't think I'm naive or inexperienced and turn the other way.

A knock on the glass door of the studio has the photographer pausing the shoot. Looking over to the door, I watch as Claire approaches with her tablet in hand.

"Sorry to interrupt," the Director says. "Troye, I need your roommate selection today so we can make hotel arrangements in New York."

"Oh, right. Sorry." I reply, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. "I don't have the form with me but it's Jack."

"Of course." Claire's long and manicured nails tap on the screen of her iPad. "I wouldn't expect it to be anyone else."

"I don't know why you would." I say and Claire chuckles, looking at me fondly. "You two are inseparable."

"We're friends," I respond. "That's how it is."

"You know," Claire hugs her tablet to get chest and points a finger in my direction. "You've been at this company for nearly four years."

"That's correct."

Claire raises an eyebrow. "You know that next year you're entitled to seek a new contract."

My head snaps up in shock. "You want me to leave the company?"

"No! Of course not." Claire assures. "I'm just saying, next year marks the end of your contract. Without renewal, you're free to seek a position with another company."

I rub my arm as the tension in the room spikes. "So I take it I'm not getting renewed?"

"Troye, in this company you're the equivalent of a Victoria Secret Angel, but you know I can't reveal that information in the absence of the board. We will have a sit-down meeting to discuss your future either here or elsewhere."

"I've been modelling since I was seventeen years old." I say. "It's all I know."

"I know Hun," Claire responds softly. "But there's been a discussion."

"About?"

Claire smiles. "About giving you a promotion and an extended contract."

"I thought you said you couldn't speak without the board?"

Claire shakes her head. "Nothing has been confirmed nor denied and therefore I am allowed to speak freely. This is just an idea that's come up but honesty, I really hope it comes true."

"What would the promotion be?"

"Head of Personnel." Claire smiles.

"I'm not part of corporate office."

"No," Claire agrees. "But I heard about what you did in the studio the other day with that new kid. What's his name? Isak Letrolli? He was signed to the company because of you."