Chapter Eleven

"Your dad never fails to impress." Jack laughs as we step out of the car that night. My parent's house is lit up with cars filling the street and music and chatter sounding from inside.

    Some of the guys I went to high school with were here as their dads were friends with mine and when they were old enough, their sons started to tag along. Most of them I hadn't seen in months.

    "Scott Evans Famous Poker Parties." I chuckle as we walk up the path to the front door of my childhood home. "It was a tradition he started back in college and mum still lets him get away with it."

    "I think it's nice that your parents moved back out to the suburbs to raise you and Aria," Jack comments. "The city is nice but the spotlight is no place for a child."

    I shrug as we walk up the front steps. "My parent's wanted us to have a normal life, away from cameras and large crowds. People still stop my mum in the street and Aria went on her first tour when she was seventeen. My family has always been in the spotlight, but it doesn't mean everything has to be."

    I laugh. "Sometimes I feel so out of place in my family."

    Jack frowns. "Why?"

    I shrug. "The names Nadia and Aria Evans alone are enough to attract screaming fans from every corner of the planet, and my dad is the genius, millionaire music producer that created them both. My whole family screams fame. I'm the only one who pursued photography."

    "You're doing what you love, Troye." Jack says. "How many people can say the same?"

    "I know, but sometimes I just wish I could do it without having my name thrown around in the media so much."

    "You're an Evans," Jack chuckles. "You were born to be noticed. Your entire family was and look what you've become. Raised in the shadow of a spotlight or not, you're loyal and compassionate and no amount of fame could ever take that away from you. You should be proud."

    I smile. "Thanks Jack."

    Suddenly the door is flung open and my mum stands there. "Did you ring the doorbell?" she asks.

    Jack smiles charmingly at her. "We were just chatting."

    "Well then, my apologies for the intrusion." Mum grins, hauling Jack and I inside.

    She hugs Jack tightly, pulling back and holding him by the shoulders. She scowls. "Have you been eating enough? You're just muscle and bone."

    Jack laughs, gently prying my mother's hand off him. "I'm fine Nadia, really. I've just been busy with work lately."

    "Ah, yes," Mum nods. "Your New York trip is soon, isn't it?"

    "Just under two weeks." I answer.

    Mum smiles, releasing Jack and pulling me into her arms.

    "My baby," she smiles. "I've missed you. You need to come around more often."

    "I'm sorry," I pull back with a sad look, running a hand through my hair. "Work has just been so busy and-"

    "Shh," Mum hushes me. "Enough of that for now. No work talk tonight. You're here, and we're going to have fun."

    Mum ushers us inside and we head down the hallway to the kitchen. The sound of men's laughter echoes from the pool house. My dad is standing in the kitchen when we enter.

    "Troye! Jack! You guys came!" he exclaims happily, dropping the bag of chips he was holding in both hands and coming over to us.

    "And we come bearing gifts." Jack holds up a six-pack of Budweiser's. My dad grins and hugs Jack before turning to me. "Troye."