Chapter Fourteen

The Welcome Dinner was a formal event held in the gallery of a nearby hotel, The Redbury. Due to the large capacity of famous patrons arriving, photographers were stationed outside of the venue in large groups.

    Tonight had been the night where models could meet the designers, editors and sponsors for this year's event. Whilst it wasn't customary to attend, it was a great way to engage in conversation for future prospects.

    For the models, it was a formal evening where the hope for future opportunities was embedded in our mannerisms. However, for Jack, it was an under-the-table business meeting.

    Jack was in New York to meet a number of potential clients he wished to work with and hence, accompanied our group along tonight to get a foot in the door with rising designers.

    We began getting ready an hour prior to the event. As I fastened my tie around my neck, I tried to ignore the thick tension in the room.

    I was currently in the bathroom, making a mess of my tie in the small and humid space whilst Jack sat on his bed, fixing his cufflinks into place.

    I sighed as I stared at myself in the mirror again, the tie knotted and a tangled in my hands. Why was it so complicated to do something so simple?

    "This cannot be human," I said to myself as I stared at the atrocity around my neck. "It's not even possible to mess something up this bad."

    "Need a hand?"

    I nearly jumped out of my skin as I turned to face the doorway. Jack was leaning in the frame, arms crossed over his chest as he stared at my tie.

    I blushed. "N-no, I've got it."

    "We'll be an hour late for the dinner by the time you've gotten that right." Jack walked over to me, poising his hands near my shoulders. "May I?"

    "Sure." I sighed in defeat, dropping my hands to my sides.

    Jack took the tie in his hands and began unknotting it, looping it easily until it sat neatly around my neck.

    "There." he announced, stepping back. "Now you're ready."

    "You make it look so easy." I mumbled, not bothering to hide my inner frustration.

    Jack chuckled. "Maybe you just over-complicate things."

    I looked up and saw Jack's eyes twinkling in humour. For a moment I could've sworn I saw a flash of the old Jack there. The Jack that I loved to joke around with and tease about his perfectionist ways.

    My Jack. Not this shell of a man who was afraid to let himself love.

    Noticing I was staring, Jack cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um, Claire came by before. She wants everyone downstairs in ten minutes to go."

    I nodded. "Right."

    "Yep." Jack said, walking out of the bathroom.

    I followed after him, admiring his appearance from behind. It wasn't often you got to see Jack dressed formally and decked out in his navy blue suit with neatly-styled waves. I couldn't help but feel my knees weaken.

    After spraying on a hint of cologne and fastening my watch around my wrist, I followed Jack out the door and we made our way to the lobby. The elevator ride was just as awkward as the moment in the bathroom had been.

    A car was waiting for us when we arrived downstairs. Claire ushered everyone inside and then we were on our way. After nearly thirty minutes of being submerged in traffic, we made it to the venue.