Chapter Thirteen

"This is the final boarding call for Flight DL5758 to New York City. Passengers, please make your way to Gate 37 with your identification and boarding pass ready. I repeat, this is the final boarding call for Flight DL5758 from Los Angeles to New York City."

"Alright," Claire hopped up from her seat and turned to face our group. "It's a week in New York and then off to Milan for Fashion Week. Has everybody got their boarding passes? Good, let's go."

I stood up, legs shaking as from exhaustion. It was three o'clock in the morning and I had barely been sleeping the past week.

Ever since the incident at my parent's house, Jack had barely said a word to me. The talk we'd had in the living room had been our last full conversation in days.

It wasn't from lack of trying, but work had been keeping us busy the past week. Jack worked long hours and I arrived home late most night, too exhausted to even consider talking but rather fall into bed.

It was awkward, and for us it never had been. I hated everything about the situation but there was nothing I could do; Jack refused to speak about it and any time we were alone together, there was always something that pulled either one of us away again.

We'd already been through security and bag placement. Claire herded the group to the boarding gate where we made our way to the plane. I walked like a zombie whilst Jack was wide awake beside me.

Jack had been the one to drag me out of bed this morning and drove us to the airport where we met up with the rest of the company. The car ride would have been the perfect time for me to initiate a conversation again but I was running on caffeine and willpower. Talking to Jack required my full attention and lots of energy.

Claire ushered us down the aisles as the sleepy models loaded their carry-ons into the overhead compartments. Brendon winked at me as he passed but all I could was offer him a tired smile before flopping into my seat.

"You know Troye," Brendon said, leaning against the back of the chair in the aisle. "I can sit next to you and you can sleep on my shoulder if you want. It's way comfier than those leather chairs."

"Thanks," I murmured. "But I'll be okay."

Brendon frowned. "Okay, if you're sure."

Jack appeared a second later, stopped in front of Brendon as he waited for the model to move. Brendon turned and saw him, a small scowl on his brows. "Jack."

"Brendon." Jack smiled, nodding at the chair. "You're in my seat."

Reluctantly, Brendon moved out of the way, eyes on me. "I'll seat you later, Troye."

I gave him a small wave as Jack sat down in the seat beside me. He didn't look at me once as he said, "Are you okay?"

I turned to look at him in surprise. "Uh, y-yeah. Thanks for rescuing me."

Jack nods and holds something out to me. It's a small orange bottle with white tablets inside. "I got you these." he said. "They're meant to help with the nausea."

Attempting to hide my surprise, I take the bottle from him. "You remembered."

Being on a plane didn't scare me, but I had never been too good with heights and the turbulence often made me feel nauseas.

"I forgot to get some earlier," I mumbled as I downed two tablets with a sip of water. "Thankyou."

Jack's eyes never met mine. "You're welcome."

A flight attendant appears to demonstrate safety protocol but I never look away from Jack, sneaking subtle glances at him from time to time. My friend stared straight ahead at the flight attendant, never returning my gaze.