Yule Ball Pt.2

Avery peeked around the edge of the corridor before continuing her trek to Potion's. There was no way she would be able to speak to James without snapping his head off. Her head was warring with itself, having a mental argument.

Okay, no James, no James, no James, I think the coast is clear. This is ridiculous, you shouldn't be mad at him you were the one who said you wanted to be friends. Yeah, well, he didn't have to go and find a new girlfriend three seconds later. He can do whatever he wants, you have no right to tell him what to do-

"Hey Avery." Dimitri said as he caught up to Avery.

"Hi."

"Okay, what's wrong?"

"What?"

"I can tell you're upset. It's quite obvious really. What's wrong? Is the sequel to your book checked out?" He joked, causing Avery to giggle.

Within that moment, Avery made a split second decision, "Hey Dimitri?"

"Yeah?"

"Is your invitation to the Yule Ball still open?"

"Yeaaah?"

"Would you want to go then?"

"Of course, Avery, that is going to be loads fun. Hope you can dance."

"Huh?" Avery questioned, feeling confused.

"The Champions' Dance. Where the Champions and their dates dance in front of everyone. No pressure." He clarified, a smile playing at his lips as he saw the look of horror in Avery's face.

"I did not think that one through." Avery facepalmed.

He laughed, "It's okay, just follow my lead. Worst comes to worst, we'll look like idiots together."

"Haha, sounds good, at least you can't get mad if I accidentally dislocate one of your toes. Well, I better be off, I have Potions next." Avery grimaced.

"See you later. Oh, by the way, I still need help with my Charm's essay, could we meet in the library later?"

"Sure, see you after lessons." Avery stepped into the classroom, immediately running into a strong chest, "Oomph."

She looked up to see a frowning James, "Oh hi, Potter." Avery tried to dart around him, only for James to block her way.

"Why are you avoiding me?" He asked bluntly, staring through her with his sapphire eyes.

"I'm not-" Avery started protesting, only to be interrupted.

"I may be an idiot, Avery, but even I can tell something is wrong. What have I cocked up this time?"

"N-nothing, I-"

"Mr. Potter and Miss Winchester, I am starting class, so if you wouldn't mind sitting down, that would be a blessing." Mr. Slughorn said.

James gave her a look this isn't over yet before reluctantly trudging over to his seat.

Just a day until the Yule Ball, then this will all blow over, Avery thought to herself, giving up on taking notes, I'll just have to be better at avoiding him. Like a ninja, quiet and mysterious. They're so cool, I wonder if I can get a ninja suit? Then again that might attract attention...

*Timeskip*

"Avery," Lily whined, "You look gorgeous, let's just go!"

"This is a free nation, I can stay here as long as I like." Avery laughed, trying to savor her last few minutes before dancing in front of the entire school and other schools.