The New Girl// Ch.1

Kaycee Rice gazed through tired eyes at her laptop screen, sitting on the cafe table in front of her. Her flight to LA had brought her to a small cafe, near the airport, and she had been sitting there for a while looking for open dance classes nearby. When she was lost, or in pain, or scared, she danced. It was the only thing she was sure of in life anymore.

The website she had found, had a home page with several classes posted.

immaBEAST dance co.
9:00am Contemporary Masterclass open to all!
Taught by Janelle Ginestra
$10 for beasts
$15 for general admission

It was 6:00am now, which gave her enough time to uber to her hotel, shower and eat breakfast and make it to the class on time. It had been months since she had taken actual class and even longer since she had enjoyed dancing. Thinking about it, that was just one more thing the Gabe's love had taken from her, her passion for dance.

She sighed, slamming the laptop shut. It won't help thinking about how much he hurt her now, if she did that, she would still be letting him win.

The ride in the uber to the hotel she had booked was fairly uneventful and when Kaycee went to check in, the lady frowned at her and slid her the room key. Kaycee didn't care though, after everything that she had been through, she was thankful for a safe place where she could sleep peacefully through the night and not have to worry about her abusive boyfriend anymore.

The room was small but welcoming, with one big window that had a view of downtown LA. She sighed in content and flopped onto the king sized bed. This was her home for now. She rolled over and glanced at the alarm clock on the night stand.

7:15

Sighing, she rolled out of bed and hopped into the shower. The scalding hot water ran over her skin, taking dried blood from last night's beating with it. If only forgetting him were that simple. Once she had scrubbed all of the blood and dirt away she stepped out of the shower. Despite having gotten no sleep the night before and feeling her body ache from everything it had been through, she felt amazing. A sense of freedom washed over her as she wiped the steam from the mirror in front of her. A blue bruise marred the skin surrounding her eye, reminding her of last nights events. She left her hair to fall into its natural curls, and smiled. She quickly changed into dance clothes, making sure she wore a shirt that covered her stomach, which is where the majority of her bruises were and used concealer to cover her black eye. She hated wearing makeup, but knew it was necessary for the time being.

After gathering everything she needed into her dance bag, she called an uber and grabbed yogurt and a banana from the free breakfast in the lobby. While waiting for her uber, she ate and her thoughts turned to him. She wondered if he was awake by now or if he noticed that she was away. He probably wouldn't even notice her absence until he got home from school, as she usually went on runs early in the morning. She shivered at the thought of him finding her stuff missing and cringed internally.

Her train of thought was broken as she noticed her uber driver wave at her. Hopping into the car, she gave the driver the location of the immaBEAST Studio and popped in her headphones, watching the buildings pass her by.

The car eventually came to a halt, and she paid the driver and hopped out of the car. It had been over a year since she had attended a class without him. Dancers rushed in and out of the building in groups of friends, giggling and gossiping, while Kaycee stood frozen in front of the doors.

"Hey, are you going in?"  A voice cut through the silence in her mind. Kaycee blinked twice and snapped her head to the tall asian boy that was talking to her.

"I'm sorry?" she asked, dazed.

"To the studio. Are you going in? Janelle's class starts soon if thats what you're here for, you seemed a bit lost" the boy laughed, feeling concerned for the small girl in front of him. She was very pretty, that much was obvious to anyone, but she seemed distressed, almost as if she was at war with herself.