Victim//Ch.16

"From the beginning, Kaycee"

Jojo's words filled the tense room. Kaycee took a deep breath, reminding herself of her new honesty policy, before starting. She kept her head down as she spoke, not wanting to see the reactions of her mentors.

"Before I moved here, I lived in Texas. I grew up there with my parents and my older sister, Kylie. We both danced, but out of the two of us she was way better. I had a good life." Kaycee remembered, fidgeting with her hands, while Jojo and Janelle watched her closely. Neither of them knew that Kaycee had a sister.

"I met Gabe Deguzman through dance. Everyone partnered us together because we were both the same height and we looked good together. We grew up together, but as time went on, he changed. I had a huge crush on him for the longest time, so when he asked me out, I agreed." Janelle smiled at the girl, silently encouraging her to continue.

"Things changed between us and he started making these comments, little remarks about my dancing or my personality or my body that hurt my confidence. One night we were rehearsing an advanced lift that had been put into our choreography, when my phone rang. My family wanted pick me up to take me out to dinner, but Gabe said I couldn't go because I couldn't get the lift right yet, so I told them to go without me. They all died in a car accident on the way there. It was my 16th birthday." Kaycee croaked out, her voice thick with emotion.

"Oh my God." Janelle muttered, bringing her hand up to her mouth in shock. Poor girl.

"I was depressed and had nowhere else to go, so I moved in with Gabe and he became my legal guardian, as he was already 18. Things got worse. I developed an eating disorder, he started hitting me and my friends all left me, so I left. I took my parent's savings and bought a plane ticket here. Everything was better until it wasn't. After Sean and I started dating, I felt like I could finally trust someone again and then Gabe showed up. He was at a party that we were at and he forced himself onto me. Sean thought I was cheating on him, and left the party and then I-He" Kaycee was sobbing hard now. Jojo pulled the girl into her arms, gently rubbing her back. Both her and Janelle were crying too now, feeling sorry that the girl had to go through this.

"H-he raped me. And beat me. The next day I came to class and everyone ignored me, that was the day I passed out, Janelle. And Gabe told me I had to move in with him, because he was still my guardian. He threatened to kill Sean if I told anyone, that why I didn't tell you. He's the one that did this to me." Kaycee cried, untangling her shaking body from Jojo's embrace.

"Im so sorry for lying to you about my parents, about Gabe, about being fine. I didn't want to face the truth, I didn't want to admit it to myself. Im sorry. Please don't tell anyone, Sean can't get hurt again because of me, he's already been through so much" Kaycee finished, not being able to stop the tears that poured down her face. Everyone in the office was full on sobbing when Kaycee finished and Janelle pulled Kaycee into her arms, holding her tightly. Both teachers couldn't imagine going through what Kaycee did, and going through it alone, like she did.

"Kaycee I promise you, that we will never let that happen to you again. I'm going to take you to the hospital, and then you can stay with me for as long as you need, until we figure this all out, okay? You're not alone anymore." Jojo promised through her tears, rubbing Kaycee's shoulder gently. Kaycee nodded at her gratefully.

"I'm so, so proud of you Kaycee. I know that wasn't easy to tell us, and I couldn't be more proud of you for opening up." Janelle praised, squeezing the girl one last time before letting her go. "Im going to let you go with Jojo now, but take as long as you need to heal before you come back, ok? And if you need anything at all, you call me or Will, we are here for you. I love you, sweetheart, be safe." Kaycee nodded at her vigorously, smiling through her tears.

Jojo led her out of the now empty studio, helping her into her car. She let Kaycee pick out music as the rode to the hospital and Kaycee showed her the solo music she had picked out to the song Bruises.

~

"I think I want to dedicate the solo to other victims of domestic abuse, but I'm not sure yet," Kaycee announced as they sat in the waiting room of the hospital.

Janelle had given her an extra immaBeast hoodie before she left and she snuggled into it tiredly as she waited to be released. The doctor had checked her out, informing her she had had several bruised ribs and a concussion before cleaning up her stitches. Jojo started crying again as Kaycee explained how she got the stitches in the first place, feeling frustrated with herself for not paying more attention to the girl.

" I think that's a great idea Kaycee. I think you should let yourself heal for a while before trying to work on it though." Jojo advised, Standing up as the doctor approached them.

"Alright I've signed Kaycee's release forms, but Kaycee I need you to take it easy for the next couple of days, ok? Watch some TV and eat some ice cream kid. Ms. Gomez, here's a nutrition plan I want her to follow, as she is underweight for her age and height. And that's all I have, have a safe night!" The doctor chirped, before heading back through the doors he came in through.

"Let's go home, kid." Jojo yawned, throwing an arm over Kaycee's shoulders.

Kaycee smiled, she was safe.