Threats//Ch.12

Why me?

Kaycee Rice had asked herself that question as she sat in her shower at 4am, watching the floor beneath her turn red as her blood mixed with the scalding hot water, seeping into the drain. Her head was pounding in her skull as she violently scrubbed her skin, desperately trying to cleanse herself of the dirty feeling that overwhelmed her. Her body ached and by the way her hear was spinning, she had a concussion.

She eventually left the shower, after the water turned cold, not being able to wash away the disgusting feeling from her body, or the physical pain she was in. Pulling on her leggings and a sports bra was a slow, painful process and Kaycee winced as she rubbed makeup onto her bruises, not wanting to worry her friends.

Well, probably ex-friends now.

She knew she had to explain everything to him as soon as possible, and hurried to collect her dance bag, before starting another long walk to the studio.

It was a beautiful day, and watching the sunrise should have brought Kaycee joy, but she was to lost in thought and too much in pain to do so.

She arrived at the studio before everybody else and sat alone in the dark parking lot, waiting from Will or Janelle to arrive to let her in. Team practice wasn't for another 3 hours but she didn't care, she just wanted to be alone and dance away her troubles.

Eventually Will's car pulled into the parking lot and he and Janelle got out of the car, frowning when they saw Kaycee sitting alone against the door, looking freezing cold.

"Kaycee? What are you doing here, honey, its 6am? It's dangerous to be here this early by yourself." Janelle chided, wrapping her arms around the shivering girl. Kaycee flinched at the touch, not being able to stop her reaction.

"Sorry. I just really want to dance, can I borrow an empty studio for a while? Just until rehearsal?" Kaycee asked, not being able to meet the adult's eyes.

"Ya of course. Kaycee you know if you ever need anything you can call us right? We care about you." Janelle prodded, gently brushing hair out of the girl's face. Kaycee nodded, sending her a tight smile before heading into the studio. She stretched carefully, as to not further injure herself, before beginning to choreograph.

She needed a way to let out the pain and hurt she was feeling and dance was her outlet. She had found the song Bruises a while back and finally knew what she wanted to do for her solo. She worked on the choreography for two hours, growing frustrated with some of the movements, they felt sloppy and uncoordinated. She hadn't eaten since lunch yesterday, and now her appetite was gone, after the things Gabe had told her, the pain she put Sean through, she didn't deserve to eat.

She glared at her body in the mirror, it's not like she needed it anyways.

She was pulled out of her thoughts as she heard the door to the studio swing open, quickly followed by, "Oh sorry, I didn't think anyone was in here."

"Sean, wait! Can I talk to you, please. It's important." Kaycee called to his retreating figure. He stopped, turning to face her, letting her take in his appearance for the first time.

Guilt flooded her body as she took in the dark bags that hung under his eyes, which were uncharacteristically dull. His body language was hunched over, defeated looking.