Scars//Ch.8

"Let's run it again."

Kaycee nearly cried out as the words left his mouth. Out of all the dance teachers she had trained under, Sean was the most intense. They had been rehearsing for hours, trying to get the ending lift right. Her muscles ached, and sweat covered her entire body. It was warm in Sean's garage but she refused to take off her sweatshirt, not willing to let Sean see what's underneath.

Kaycee staggered back to her starting position, fatigued, while Sean went to start the music for what felt like the hundredth time tonight. As she reached the end of the dance, she anticipated the lift, mentally preparing herself. Sean pulled her off the floor, boosting her as she leapt behind him before wrapping her legs around him, straddling him. She suddenly felt hyperaware of everything, her legs wrapped around his torso, his firm hand on her bare back, accidentally slipping under her sweatshirt as he caught her, helping her down. His touch leaving goosebumps on her skin. She shook the feeling from her fatigued figure and pulled herself off of him, finishing the dance two beats too soon. Kaycee sighed in frustration, running her fingers through her sweaty hair.

"Let's call it a night for now, we can run it for Jojo at immaBeast tomorrow, she'll know what to do." Sean suggested, grabbing his phone from the speaker. Kaycee nodded tightly, beyond frustrated with herself. What was wrong with her?

~

The next day, the two arrived at the studio, committed to fixing the dance. Jojo greeted them at the door, pulling them into a motherly embrace before dragging them into an empty studio.

"So what seems to be the problem? I got your text last night, and you mentioned problems with the lift and some chemistry issues?" Jojo asked, watching the dancers closely.

"Ya, I think the choreography is just about finished, but we are having trouble nailing this one lift and just wanted your advice on how to fix it." Sean spoke as Kaycee nodded in response, fidgeting with the sleeves of her sweatshirt.

"Okay well let's see it," Jojo announced, leaning against the mirror.

The two went through the ending sequence and once again, Kaycee fell out of the dismount awkwardly.

"Ok I want to see it again. Kaycee, honey, can you take your sweatshirt off, I need to be able to see your lines clearly and it might be getting in the way" at those words, Kaycee paled, frozen in her spot.

"Kaycee?" Jojo called, breaking the girl from her trance.

"Oh- um ya that's fine." Kaycee stuttered out.

Sean and Jojo just frowned at the girl, curious as to why she was acting this way. It wasn't uncommon to wear tight or revealing clothing or to be asked to remove clothing in class and Kaycee had been dancing for a while, so why was she so hesitant?

Kaycee turned around looking at herself in the mirror,

Better to get it over with quickly.

Her shaking hands gripped the bottom of the sweatshirt, and Kaycee took a deep breath, pulling it over her head, leaving her in only a sports bra and leggings.

She heard Sean gasp behind her.

"Kaycee what happened?" Jojo asked in disbelief, gawking at the scars etched into her student's back.

"Respectfully, I'd rather not talk about it." Kaycee whispered, not meeting Jojo's worried gaze.

"Can we just run it again?" Kaycee attempted to change the subject.

She could practically feel Sean's intense gaze burning holes in her back.

"Alright, lets go again." Jojo gave in. They ran through the sequence again, more distracted than the first time they ran it.