Resolve

Wei Wuxian's eyebrows knit when they heard a fierce corpse's growl from the distance. They all immediately jumped out the boat. "Wei Yin – " Lan Wangji called as he helped Wei Wuxian up. His face showed no emotion but his heart stirred – both from admiration and bitterness upon seeing Wei Wuxian in his Yiling Patriarch get up.

"Lan Zhan..." Wei Wuxian called, his face softened when he saw his husband.

"Young master Wei." Lan Xichen called as he hurried to them. "Where's W-... sect leader Jiang?" he asked when he saw Jiang Cheng's not with them. When Wei Wuxian didn't answer, he lowered his head.

An awkward silence fell upon them as the YunmengJiang sect disciples already ran towards the temple to join the other sects, setting up a barrier around the temple when they saw the resentful energy leaking out of the temple's windows and roof. Wei Wuxian didn't know what to answer, nor Lan Wangji.

Their silence was broken when Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi called them. "Senior Wei!" they called as they ran towards them. The two greeted the Twin Jades before turning to Wei Wuxian. "Senior Wei. How's Jin Ling? Why is he not here?" Lan Jingyi asked when they didn't saw Jin Ling, either.

"Resting." Wei Wuxian just said and looked away when Lan Xichen looker at him, a glimmer of hope in his eyes hoping to hear something about Jiang Cheng. "The uncle and nephew slept late last night..." he said, then paused. He glanced at Lan Xichen, then Lan Wangji. He lowered his gaze when he met Lan Wangji's eyes. "... because they were busy choosing for Jiang Cheng's bride." He said.

Their eyes went wide – except Lan Wangji. He's seriously looking at Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian averted his gaze. Sorry, Lan Zhan. I know you wanted to protect you brother, but I also want to protect my brother... he thought. He knows Lan Wangji felt greatly indebted to Lan Xichen because of Lan Xichen's excessive care and concern for him – as a brother, as a mother and as a father. That is why Lan Wangji also deeply cares for Lan Xichen – albeit doesn't show on his face. However, it was the same for Wei Wuxian, too. He regretted he died and left Jiang Cheng alone in life. He swore, when he reincarnated, he wouldn't leave Jiang Cheng alone again. Added with Jin Ling, he wouldn't let the two of his family remaining to be hurt. Lan Zhan... this is my resolve – protecting my family from pain and harm. I know... you feel the same way, too. He thought and looked at Lan Wangji straight in his eyes. He felt his knees gone weak but he strengthened himself. Only to be surprised when Lan Wangji pulled him by his hand and hugged him tight. "... Lan Zhan...?" he called, his face buried on his husband's chest.

"... you're about to cry." Lan Wangji whispered. Wei Wuxian's eyes went wide. "Cry." Lan Wangji told him, his voice so gentle and soft Wei Wuxian's heart was pulled and stirred. The next second and his tears broke like a dam – making Lan Wangji's chest damp.

Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi just lowered their head, don't know what to say. They glanced at their sect leader who's silently mourning his heart. Wanyin... Lan Xichen thought as he closed his eyes to calm himself. I... will still continue to love you. He thought as he turned his head and marched towards the temple.

Their eyes went wide when they saw Lan Xichen going to the temple. "Zewu-jun!" they called, panicked and immediately ran after him. However, Lan Xichen was so fast and the other cultivators didn't have time to stop him since they were solidifying the barrier. "Zewu-jun!" they all called, but Lan Xichen already gone inside.

"Brother!" Lan Wangji called and he and Wei Wuxian together with the two juniors and the GusuLan sect disciples about to go inside when they were all stopped.

"Wait! The resentful energy is too strong! You can't – "

Wei Wuxian cut him, off, pissed, by dispersing the resentful energy surrounding the outside of the temple, startling them all. "The Yiling Patriarch...!" they muttered.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji said no more and immediately entered the temple, only to be greeted by a dense resentful energy comparable to the Burial Mounds. "Zewu-jun!" Wei Wuxian called.

"Brother!" Lan Wangji called as they wildly looked around, but could only see black. The resentful energy is obscuring their sight, they can't carelessly make a move or else they might hurt Lan Xichen. Fortunately, Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi knows not to follow them and stopped the other GusuLan sect disciples.

"No good." Wei Wuxian said. "The resentful energy is everywhere, I can't control it and locate its center." He said, frowning. "If Wen Ning was here, a high tendency I'd also lost control of him." He said as he put Chenqing on his waist. "It must be the other half of Stygian Tiger Seal. Damn it." He cursed, his eyes glowing bloody red.

"Wei Ying." Lan Wangji softly called as he held Wei Wuxian's hand tightly.

Feeling the warm familiar feeling, Wei Wuxian become calm. "Mn." He nodded and held back Lan Wangji's hand, as tight as the other holding him. The two carefully treaded the temple, following the noises they heard that're sending alarm in their mind and heart. It's as if... something is eating a flesh. A surge of panic crept in their heart and Wei Wuxian felt Lan Wangji's grip on him tightened, but holding back as to not crush Wei Wuxian's hand. Wei Wuxian knew, his husband is panicking, scared for what happened to his elder brother Lan Xichen, and so he muttered comforting words to Lan Wangji. After a minute and Lan Wangji calmed, but his grip still firm. Zewu-jun... Wei Wuxian thought as they near the place where the scrunching noises is coming from. They felt their heart leapt when they finally saw a bright light amidst the resentful energy. It must be Lan Xichen's sword glare! They hurried their pace, their heart beating fast from excitement. However, their heart just sank to the floor when they saw the scene before them. The coffin's lid is open, and Nie Mingjue and Jin Guangyao are out. However, they're just sitting on the floor, Lan Xichen sat across them. The eating sounds they heard earlier is from the two fierce corpses' flesh scraping the floor – must be the result of them dragging their body to sit properly. It's the first time of them seeing their alive sworn brother. However...

"Er... ge..." Jin Guangyao spoke, his voice like a chalk scraping the board. "I..." he said and looked at Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen didn't speak. No, he can't speak. Because Shuoye, whom glowing bright earlier, now its light growing dim. It struck Lan Xichen, and it has been a while because Lan Xichen's snow white robe is drenched in blood, and there was a pool of blood beneath him.

"Brother!" Lan Wangji roared, his voice echoed in the temple and can be heard from the outside – sending chills to the people's spine hearing the second Jade's panicked voice, indicating something have happened inside.

Wei Wuxian immediately searched for the Stygian Tiger Seal and when he found it, he grabbed it. He closed his eyes tight as he gathered all the resentful energy into his hand where the Stygian Tiger Seal is, a spark of blood red crackling around him.

"Wei Ying!" Lan Wangji called after he stopped Lan Xichen's bleeding. "WEI YING!!!" he called as he reached his hand out.

Only for them all to be blown away when a strong blast of resentful energy come out of the seal when it cracked, and finally broke. The resentful energy made the day turn night for a few minutes, and gathered inside the temple like it was sucked in, the center is Wei Wuxian, and then disappeared. Wei Wuxian's figure stood still for a moment, and then he collapsed. The broken pieces of the seal slowly turned to dust.

"WEI YING!!!"

To be continued.