PROLOGUE

From the diaries of Daniel St. Clair

I have a tough time thinking about how to persuade my second eldest granddaughter, Sapphire, to marry like her younger sister, Ruby, who surprised everyone when she was, indeed, secretly married before she even return to New York. That girl never failed to surprise me.

Now one of my stubborn granddaughters had succumbed and happily married to her Spanish husband. It is time for my next project. This time I will work my matchmaking skills on my second eldest granddaughter.

Sapphire had been once married to the young Greek billionaire named Loukas Spiridakou. Everyone agreed that it was a love match. But their marriage tested when her husband wanted my granddaughter to stay in their home and be a good wife for the traditional Greek family. But Sapphire who was still suffering from the sudden loss of her parents' she felt insecure in the foreign land when her husband was busy running his empire she felt neglected.

Among my granddaughters, Sapphire was the most level-headed. She was the perfect daughter fit for the famous St. Clair family. She is a beautiful girl but lacking in self-confidence sometimes. New York City had called her the 'It-girl'. And she was currently the general manager of our flagship branch and I know she was the most interested among my granddaughters in managing our family business.

Sapphire had seen with a man on few occasions, the media had already speculating she's finally ready to have a relationship again after her divorce. But the sparks in her green eyes during the time she'd been dating her Greek ex-husband had been noticeably missing. I decided that it was time for my granddaughter to achieve the happiness she deserved. Even if that means pushing her back to her ex-husband, the only man who could put life to her beautiful eyes.

I am thinking of opening a branch of St. Clair Diamonds in Greece and I want Sapphire to supervise my latest store. Who knows what Greece has to install for my granddaughter? Some might get annoyed by my meddling in the lives of my granddaughter believe me this is the only way to deal with them...

Sapphire St. Clair's POV

"You look beautiful tonight..." He said in his deep voice, his eyes glittering under the moonlight as we stood at the private beach his family owns. "...my wife, my very own jewel. My Sapphire."

My eyes suddenly opened as I sat up on my bed. I looked around at my surroundings making sure I was still in New York not some island in the Aegean Sea. What a dream—a very bad dream. I thought silently. I ran my finger in my hair it seems that I doze off a little. I never wished to remember those agonizing memories that I tried my very best to bury in the deepest pit of my strongbox but what went wrong tonight?

The party, I reminded myself cautiously. I glanced at the wall clock in my bedroom there were still a few hours before the annual St. Clair Charity Ball would start I have enough time to prepare. Throwing the covers away I jumped out of my bed and change for my workout outfit.

I need a good run. I went to the makeshift mini gym in the extra room in my apartment and jump on the treadmill. I love to run it keeps me think clearly and helps me deal with stress. I usually ran in Central Park before my work every day but when I was busy like today I settled for this machine in my place.

I took a deep breath as I caught the momentum of my running. I closed my eyes removing any traces of that dream a while ago out of my head. The last thing I want was to remember those long-ago memories and my disastrous twelve-month marriage.

I have a strong feeling that the reason why those memories resurface again has something to do with tonight's party. My grandfather, Daniel St. Clair, whom they called America's King of Diamond will hold his annual charity ball in the ballroom hotel of the man I'd rather not see his face ever again.