CHAPTER 17

Sapphire St. Clair's POV

I was almost done preparing our dinner when he finally arrive at the penthouse. I went home earlier than him since he was still stuck with his mountain of works despite his dismay that I didn't bother to wait for him around inside his office so we could go home together.

Truth to be told, I was still smarting about his attitude and baseless accusation about my strictly 'business' meeting with Nikos Pallis. Besides, there was the fact that I was still uncomfortable with office gossips about us. I was sure as hell that it would only take a few more weeks or even days before people would realize that I was his ex-wife. Thank goodness I never went to the hotel to visit him before as his wife so the hotel employees barely knew the image of his American wife.

"Dinner is almost ready," I informed him brightly when I saw him coming into the kitchen. He was in the middle of removing his tie and undo the first two buttons of his shirt. I couldn't miss the expressive eyes studying me under his disapproving eyebrows.

"I have some news for you."

I looked at him for a moment, stopping from my tracks in placing plates on the table. "Is that good news or bad?"

He shrugged casually, removing his suit jacket placing it on the backrest of the chair. "It depends on how you take it."

"Uh-oh," I replied worriedly, placing our food on the table. "Now you got me really worried. Do I need to prepare myself before you drop your news?"

He smiled at me that didn't quite reach his eyes. "The truth is, I need to attend a party this coming weekend..."

"So...?"

Loukas looked me straight in the eye. I knew where this was going and I don't like it. "I want you to come with me to the party."

I shook my head almost immediately. "No, I'm sorry. I can't come with you to the party. I don't think I am ready to be seen with you again in the presence of Greek society. I don't want to create gossips that we're together again."

He exhaled a heavy breath. "I knew you would say that. But don't you think that we can't hide our relationship—I don't want to hide it, Sapphire."

"But what if your family learns about this?" I bit my bottom lip. "What would they say then? I am sure they haven't forgiven me yet about suddenly divorcing you years ago. I already receive an icy welcome from your aunt at Dionne's wedding. I don't think I can survive the scrutiny of the whole clan."

"They won't do such a thing to you." His face was dark and grim. "I will not let anyone treat you unjustly even if they are my own family."

My heart warmed at his words but I was still not convinced that attending this party with him would be a good idea. "They are your family, Loukas. I'm sure that they only want what's best for you. You will understand if they are just protecting you from another heartache from a woman who put disgrace to your family name."

"Yes," he admitted, his eyes focus their attention on me. "But you are far more important than them. That's why I won't let anyone say anything bad towards you, my love."

"Loukas...!"

He held my hands in his and study my fingers intently. "We may do the wrong decision on our marriage the first time but we learned from it and this time we'll do the right thing."

"And doing the right thing is coming to this party?" I asked skeptically. "Is that what you have in mind?"

"Of course." He said simply. "What a better way to announce to the world that we're back together than attend a social gathering where the elite of Greek society will be present. Like I said before I don't want to hide our relationship, agapiméni."