CHAPTER 20

Sapphire St. Clair's POV

I gently put down the tabloid in my hand on the wooden table after reading the headlines. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I felt my headache early in the morning this wasn't my kind of morning paper but I made an exception of buying this copy after my morning run. It's been three days since the party we attended and until now the Greek tabloids still couldn't get over the story that Loukas and I practically proclaimed to the Greek society that we got back together.

Until now their front pages contain images of us at the party with wild captions above. Some were wondering how we got back together and how long this liaison would last while some wonders if this would last the second time around. 

I don't have time for this kind of rubbish paper, to be honest, but this one copy that I bought caught my attention this specific news outlet starts to dig into the past on what went wrong in the past I was half afraid that they would uncover my deepest secret why I left Loukas.

It doesn't help to my growing anxiety that Dionne kept on texting me gushing about the fact that she claimed that she knew from the start that we would get together in just a matter of time. She also claimed that we're meant to be for each other.

Are we?

By now, I have no doubt that every single person resides in Greece already knew that handsome, ultra-rich hotelier rekindle his relationship with his wayward ex-wife thanks to the scandalous night at the party that Loukas orchestrated. I should have known better that night not to let him do as he wish since I am not ready yet to make public about our relationship. But I did nothing to stop him.

I threw a foul looked on the bedroom. The man in question was still probably asleep completely unaffected by the news about us in newspapers. In fact, I could say that he was somewhat happy about the over-the-top, wild speculation, and untruth writing about us.

If I would describe his reaction the next morning after the party—after I showed him the copy I bought with our old picture on the front page I would say his take with the whole fiasco was somewhat jovial.

I was about to prepare to take a shower when my mobile sounded in my pocket. I let out an audible sigh when I saw the caller id. Don't tell me his ears already reached the news all the way to New York?

I was half afraid to answer the dreaded phone call. Do I have the answers to my grandfather's question in case he asks about the news about me and my ex-husband? I was not yet ready to share this little information with my family.

With the persistent ring, I reluctantly slid my thumb on the screen to answer his phone call. "Hello, Gran." I tried to sound jolly on the other line while deep inside I was nervous as hell taking this phone call my heart was pounding so loud I was afraid that Daniel could hear it.

"Did I wake you up, sweetie?" I heard the familiar voice of my granddad over the phone. I fear that he could detect the uneasiness in my voice so I tried to remain calm until I knew the reason for this phone call early in the morning.

"No."

"How are you?" Daniel inquired on the other line. "Is the company doing well so far?"

I tried to clear my throat ignoring the hard pounding of my chest. "Yes..." I answered, peeking sideways in the bedroom. I slowly walked towards the glass window and stared outside. The last thing I want is for Loukas to go out of the room and Daniel might recognize his voice in case he inquires who is on the other line. "...I am fine, Granddad. And so does the company. In fact, the store is doing great we gained valuable clients."

"That's good to hear." I heard the proud voice of my grandfather on the other line.

"I am planning to send you a complete report about the store's performance on its opening week as soon as possible," I informed him while looking at the blue sea outside.