TWELVE.

SHE sat there in shock. taylor? in connecticut? it didn't add up. she had to be looking for karlie. why else would the inside source say something like that? she looked at the TV with a unwritten, blank face. this couldn't be real. what if taylor showed up to her apartment in the middle of nowhere? it's not like she didn't know where karlie lived. and what would she do if those mesmerizing blue eyes looked at her again? hundreds of thoughts raced through karlie's head. this is exactly what she was trying to prevent; she didn't want to get in contact again with taylor... yet, it seemed like she was everywhere. it just wasn't fair - after all everything she did to karlie. it took so, so long for karlie to get up on her feet while taylor was living luxuriously, dripping in recognition and fame.

with a shaky hand, she exited out of the screen. she couldn't think about this now and she had work the next day... she'd dwell on it tomorrow. all this buzz around taylor drained the hazel eyed girl mentally - all she knew was that she desperately needed a good night's sleep.

it was daytime now. saturday. and karlie went on with her normal routine per usual. she made herself a banana smoothie and caught up on some finance things cara asked her to help with (plus she would be getting a little extra in her paycheck which she didn't mind). she tried her best to not worry about taylor and the whole situation but staring at numbers all day didn't help distract from the fact that taylor was literally down the road yesterday. what if it had been a regular day at the café or what if they had extended their hours?

she shook her head and sipped on her smoothie. she saw the article - she recognized the area. the dimly lit stores that were down the street from the café were only a thing a local could recognize. karlie grunted and shut her laptop. she quickly texted cara:

11:22am
to: cara 🤪😤
from: karlie
check the hartford news. look at last nights article.

11:25am
from: cara 🤪😤
to: karlie
ya sure. why?...

11:30am
from: cara 🤪😤
to: karlie
oh shit i just read it... god karlie i cant imagine what you're going through right now. i'm calling you.

soon a buzzing came from karlie's phone. she picked it up quickly, not wanting to miss the chance to talk to cara about this. "hello?" karlie answered.

"karlie, oh babe. i'm so sorry. i can't believe this. how're you feeling?" cara asked.

"i honestly don't even know," karlie laughed. "it's all so unexpected that it's just funny now - what would she even want to do with me now? taylor hasn't been around for years and she hasn't even talked to me! god, cara. this is so complicated" the hazel eyed girl said with a sigh.

"i know, honey. i know. what right does she think she had just welcoming herself back into your life. you provided her that foundation for her fucking fame and this is how she repays you?" cara exclaimed, anger laced into her voice.

karlie shrugged, biting her lip, "i don't know if that's how i see it. i-i don't know what to do. i mean, i haven't even dated since taylor left. like, what does that mean, cara? am i even over her? whats gonna happen if she finds me?"

there was a pause. cara was probably thinking. karlie spoke, "i know. i know. god, i'm just so aggravated. you're right, she isn't entitled to just entering back my life again. and, i'm a different person that now than who i was three years ago. to be truthful, i don't know if i'd turn her down if she asked for a chance to explain herself. how stupid is that?"

she heard her best friend speak again, "look, karls, it'll be alright. just... don't put yourself down for not being able to turn down taylor. you know how i feel about her and about that situation but it just sounds like you need to follow your heart. love is one hell of a strange, strange thing and you can't control who you love, you know? i've gotta run some errands now. i love you, you know?"

"i know. i love you too. thank you, cara. 'means a lot. see you on monday" karlie responded. she heard the click, ending the call and sat with her hands buried in her face. cara's advice made things even harder for karlie. follow my heart?, karlie thought. if i'd follow my heart, i'd be begging taylor to take me back right now.

a few hours and a trip to the mall later to ease her mind, karlie returned with a bag of groceries and a new record for her brand new record player she bought a week ago. it was pastel blue, adorable, and it captured karlie's heart when she first saw it. she unwrapped her new record: malibu nights by LANY. this was one of her favorites. she placed the record on the stand and let the cool music draped over her apartment.

the dirty blonde got up to put some of her groceries away when she heard a tiny ping! from her phone. she picked up her phone:

you have new mail!
(1 message)

to: karliekloss@gmail.com
from: imgmodels@IMG.com
re: Modeling position 

Hi Karlie,

My name is Amanda Cross from IMG Models. I'm one of the managers who runs our model scouting program in the East Coast. You may be wondering why we've reached out to you at this time.

I was given your contact information by an anonymous account. He/she had shown my team and I your portfolio and to say the least, we were quite impressed. You have an astonishing talent for modeling. We'd love for you to come to Manhattan, New York to meet us for a call back. This simply means there will be a small photoshoot arranged (to test out your ability) and a interview with one of our managers. From there, we will see if you're the right fit for our agency and maybe we can build up a contract once we meet. IMG would love to fly you out to New York and back as well as cover the cost for your hotel and transportation.

If you have any questions, please let me know. It'd be for the best if you could get back to me a week from today. We hope you consider this a great deal. I hope to see you soon, Ms.Kloss.

Sincerely,
Amanda

karlie gripped the bag of chips that was in her hand, knuckles white. she looked up from her phone in shock. who would give this agency her information and why? was she going to take the offer? who the hell was IMG?

she sat down on the counter stool, eyebrows furrowed. why did all of this - taylor, modeling - have to happen all at once?

1158 WORDS

oOOOf sum stuff bout to go down soon lol. thanks for all da love on this story btw! i love u guys

all the love,
kaela 🌷