SEVENTEEN.

the sound of the shower running and a melodic voice gently awoke karlie. she rubbed her eyes slowly and sat up from the bed. all the moments from the night before came rushing into her head and she looked around. hung, was a mosaic looking chandelier and pictures of taylor's family and new friends were placed in frames. she didn't recognize any of them besides taylor's parents and brother.

the dresser was painted yellow and on each drawer, there were little paintings with the initials, "t.s" painted in black. the tiny paintings ranged from fields of flowers to oceans and scribbles of lyrics. she remembered how much taylor liked to paint and all the nights she would spend working on an art project. there was a painting of a daisy field still hung up back home - karlie couldn't bring herself to get rid of it. taylor was so talented like that.

the shower was still running and she could hear taylor singing softly. it was "golden hour" by kacey musgraves. one of taylor's favorites. she knew because she caught a glimpse of the record player in place while walking in last night. taylor was everywhere in this place and karlie couldn't decipher if it was a good thing or not.

although she didn't want to admit it, taylor's shower voice was sultry and honey-like. the blonde was truly gifted. singing and songwriting was definitely something that was natural to her.

"you set my world on fire. i know, i know everything's gonna be alright" a familiar voice sang. karlie quickly turned to find taylor standing in a black, lacy bralette, a lilac towel hanging loosely around her waist. taylor's toned back was facing karlie; her body was familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. she burned with embarrassment. it's been awhile since she's seen a woman this intimately - well, since taylor, in all actuality.

she slid back into bed, bringing up the covers up to her chin. she would just wait until taylor was done changing to wake up. she heard the drawers rattle and the sound of clothes jumbling. taylor's footsteps and soft humming came closer to karlie before they stopped all together. karlie's breath hitched as she felt a warm hand reach down to play with her hair and a tiny chuckle from taylor. a few moments passed and then heard a quick sigh from the woman. taylor left the room, shutting the door softly.

karlie reached up to touch her hair, cheeks still burning. taylor must've thought she had a fever or something.

she reached over and checked her phone; a ton of messages from cara and josh asking show she was. she quickly replied just to assure them that she was still alive. karlie then stepped out of bed and quietly entered the kitchen. she saw taylor wearing an old dixie chicks band tee with skinny jeans. her hair was fluffy and rings adorned her fingers. she was standing next to a pan, the smell of chocolate chip pancakes wafering through the air.

"morning" karlie mused. taylor turned around and smiled softly.

"hey, i made some pancakes. the plates are in the cabinet, do you mind setting them down?" taylor asked, pointing to a drawer. karlie nodded and set down the plates. the pair sat down in silence. karlie bit into a pancake, sounding out a moan.

"god, i forgot how good your pancakes were," karlie mumbled, her mouth stuffed with pancakes. taylor's laughter filled the room, a warm sound.

karlie mentally frowned. she was suppose to hate taylor, resent her. yet, she didn't.

"taylor... can we... settle our unfinished business? you... left so suddenly"

taylor took a deep breath in, "i know, i'm- i'm sorry. i was such a stupid person back then. i was overwhelmed with everything. it's stupid. i should have never betrayed you. i regret everything. if i could go back, i would apologize and stay. if anything, my career has taught me to keep the true, loving people in your life. you were one of them. i met so many women and just... people who wanted me for my success"

"i quickly realized what a huge fucking mistake i made. i missed you. i missed everything. your eyes, your laugh, your humor. god, i even missed holding your hand. no woman ever made me feel the way you did" she finished.

"why- why do you write about guys then? why do you pretend you're straight?" karlie asked. she was reeling from all this information.

"management," taylor laughed bitterly. "you'd think that they'd be more accepting in this day and age. nope. i had to change all the pronouns and go on these stupid PR dates but i hated it. i'm planning to move record labels, though. i just want more freedom" taylor said.

there was a long pause between them.

"i.... i don't want to lose you. i never want to repeat my mistakes. i think the cafe isn't just a coincidence, kar" the nickname made karlie bite her lip.

"well-"

"okay, maybe not a coincidence since i told IMG about you. but, i never meant to get in your way!" taylor chuckled. 

"look, i know i fucked up. i did you so wrong and everyone you know must hate me. i didn't even give you a chance to just talk to me but i was hurt and i thought i knew what was best. i'm older now and i'm a shit tone more wise. i know now that i'm happiest when i'm with you. it physically hurt to be without you even if it looked like i wasn't. if anything, i'm probably the last person you want to speak with. i'm such a loser, but i want to listen cause i never did during our relationship."

"taylor...," karlie thought about margot and then glanced at taylor. did her heart swell like this when she was with any other woman? did she have history like this with any other woman? most importantly, could anyone make pancakes better than her? all to which the answers were no.

"i know you want time for this but i'm just asking... may we start over? back to the time where our relationship was happy and lively?" taylor asked but her gaze wasn't fixed on karlie. she did this when she was nervous.

karlie shook her head, "i don't need time. i want to start over". with that, taylor looked startled.

"w-what?"

"you heard me," karlie chuckled. she got up her chair and moved towards taylor. she hugged the blonde, breathing in her scent.

"you were always my home. i forgive you," karlie mumbled.

"i don't deserve you," taylor said. in an even quieter voice she whispered, "i never stopped loving you,"

1119 words
giving y'all what i want. i know it's rushed but i have no motivation to write on :( im sorry. epilogue coming soon doe!