~*~ The Supernatural ~*~

31st January 2010

Bailey’s POV

I’d been living with Alaric for just under two weeks, and he offered me a permanent home with him. It wasn’t as if I had anywhere else to turn, and he was the only person at the moment I could live with. Of course I said yes, only an idiot would have said no. He was actually nice to live with, he was a nice person, and he was a good cook.

Today was a Saturday, meaning neither of us needed to go to the school, but Alaric had gone out somewhere. I didn’t really know where, but it wasn’t any of my business.

So today I had his apartment on my own. Most teenagers when given their house to themselves would throw a party; instead I began to watch TV. I wasn’t one for parties nor did I have enough friends to throw a party. My idea of fun was throwing a TV show marathon, and not removing my butt from my seat other than to go to the toilet, as I had a large supply of food and drink surrounding me.

I was still wearing my pyjamas, and was wrapped up in the throw that was on the back of the sofa, whilst I watched Lost. Most people hated the show, but I actually really enjoyed it, and watching it in a marathon was great.

I was a few hours into the marathon when someone knocked on the door. I did contemplate not answering it, seen as no one knew that I lived here, so either it was a cold caller or someone looking for Alaric who wasn’t currently here. After the second knock, I stood up and made my way to the door. I opened it to see Jeremy.

“Hey Jer, what are you doing here?” I questioned.

“Can I come in?” He asked with a solemn expression on his face.

I had no idea what was wrong with him, but I did hope he’d tell me.

“Sure. Are you okay?” I smiled softly.

He walked into Alaric’s apartment taking a seat on the sofa. He rested his elbows on his legs, with his hands on either side of his head, letting out a deep sigh.

“What’s wrong Jer?” I asked, taking a seat next to him gently resting my hand on his arm.

“Elena’s adopted,” he stated bluntly.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What was he talking about? Did he mean his sister Elena was adopted?

“What?”

“Elena. She’s not my actual sister. Her Dad is actually our uncle John, and my Dad delivered her. As her Mum and Dad didn’t want her as they couldn’t take care of her, my parents faked her birth certificate, thinking they couldn’t have children of their own. But two years later I was born, proving them wrong. She found out a while ago but she just told me,” He explained.

“I don’t know what to say. She’s still your sister, even if she’s not biologically your sister,” I smiled.

I was trying to be comforting but I hadn’t had to experience this before, so I had no idea what to say to him. It wasn’t something I’d had to go through or anyone I knew, so it was a bit odd in trying to comfort him through it.

“That’s not the only thing. You know I told you about vampires?” He asked, and I nodded in response, “Well Elena got Damon, Stefan’s brother to compel me. Meaning she messed with my memories.”

I couldn’t remember exactly if Jeremy explained what compelling is to me, but if he did I had forgotten what it was.

“What’s compelling?” I asked.

“It’s mind compulsion. So vampires have mind compulsion meaning they can manipulate your memories and convince you into stuff. So basically all vampires can screw up your thoughts and force you into doing stuff. But there is a way to stop it. There’s a plant vervain, which is I guess poisonous to vampires. Basically if you ingest it, vampires won’t drink your blood as it’ll be poisonous, but you can also wear it, and both ways stop vampires from compelling you,” Jeremy explained.

It seemed so weird. To be honest the whole concept of vampires was weird, but their actual capabilities were just completely obscure. It did kind of feel like he was making up the whole thing and was making up a story to scare children. I knew he wasn’t but it did seem that way, as the whole thing was so outrageous.

“Um… okay, this seems so odd,” I chuckled.

He smiled softly taking off his bracelet. I had never seen him wear it before. It was brown and looked kind of homemade but it was nice.

“This is a vervain bracelet. Wear it all of the time. Don’t take it off,” He smiled softly putting it onto my wrist.

I smiled up at him. It was kind of odd the concept of now not taking this off to protect myself from vampires.

He then took a bundle of a plant handing it to me.

“This is vervain, carry some of it around with you or put it into your tea or something. I don’t want vampires to hurt you, not that it is going to really stop them if they want to, but it’s a good step forward,” He smiled softly.

“Thank you Jeremy. It means a lot that you want to help me. The whole thing about vampires seems so weird. It just makes it seem unreal,” I sighed.

He smiled softly again. It was nice that he was smiling now rather than the frown that he had on his face when he came in. He put his arm around my shoulders pulling me closer to him.

“I know it’s so weird. Everything unexpected seems to have happened all at once. It’s not great that everything’s happening now, seen as it’s all unbelievable,” He shrugged.

“Yeah, it’s not great. But at least everything happens now rather than it’s all spread out over a while. Not much worse can happen now, can it?” I chuckled, “I just jinxed it didn’t I?”

“Yep,” He smirked, “It doesn’t matter though, and we haven’t completely lost it yet, have we? We’re kind of more on our feet than we were a month ago,” He smiled.