21 : Truth or Trick

SAVANNA

I woke up in a familiar room. I've been there before but I couldn't exactly remember when. Just as I stood up, I noticed how I was already wearing an over-sized shirt that almost felt like a dress from the way it reached my legs.

"Mabuti at gising ka na. How are you feeling?"

Napatingin ako sa bukas na pinto at nakita si Mrs. Alacor na papasok dala ang isang paper bag. She still had her usual gentle smile and fine demeanor, classy as always. 

"O-okay na po ako. Thank you po." I wanted to ask how I got to their house but all I could utter were words of gratitude. Nahihiya ako sa kanya, guilty rin dahil sa sikretong nalalaman ko. They have no idea that their son is dead while a ghost is in possession of his body. I've always wanted to tell them but I'm scared of what will happen to Trick. 

"You must be wondering why you're here." She walked towards me, putting the paper bag on the edge of the bed. "They said you passed out on the precinct. Mabuti na lang at dito ka dinala ni Burn. You should've told us you didn't have a place to stay, that motel is really dangerous for young girls like you."

"Okay lang po." I shyly let out a short laugh. "Sanay na po ako."

"Sanay? How long have you been staying in that motel?" Nakunot ang kanyang noo.

"A few days ago. But doon po talaga ako lagi kapag hindi ko na--" I stopped talking the moment I realized where I was leading. I swallowed hard and just chuckled it away, but Mrs. Alacor sighed heavily.

"Muntik ko nang tawagan ang mga magulang mo, mabuti na lang at sinabi ni Burn ang tungkol sa papa mo."

Nagulat ako sa narinig. Napakurap ako. 

"Hija, it's okay." She held my hand gently, pressing it like she was making me feel her sympathy. "You don't have to be afraid of your dad. I will do my best to help so your Dad won't hurt you anymore. If you want, you can even stay here."

Hindi ako nakapagsalita. Wala akong maalalang may sinabi ako kay Trick tungkol sa papa ko. Ni hindi ko nga maalala na nagtanong siya kung bakit nasa motel ako. 

"Has your dad always been like that?"

Mrs. Alacor's questions triggered the happy memories that I've always kept at the back of my mind. My father was a good man. He made us happy in more ways than one. He taught us a lot of things, even took us to fishing and camping trips whenever he's in the country taking a break from his overseas work. He used to be a good man. 

"Looks like you're not ready to talk about it yet. It's okay. I'm sorry for prying. Do you want to take a bath? I got you some clothes. I hope you like them."

Tumango ako. Nakikita ko pa rin ang maliliit na mantsa ng dugo sa balat ko at dahil dito lagi kong naalala ang hitsura ng bangkay ni Liam. It was all my fault. Liam's dead and it was all my fault.