SMS Chapter 9

"What'd I miss? Sorry, I got distracted..." He trailed off again, staring at my mouth.

"What, do I have something in my teeth?" I started to get up to check when he pulled me back, even closer to him.

"No, I was just watching you talk... And now I sound like a creep. I really should just cut my losses and leave now before I do something stupid." But he made no motion to leave, rather moved even closer until our faces were only a fraction of an inch apart. Just as I thought something might happen that I would regret in the morning, my phone rang from the kitchen. I jumped up to get it as Zac sat back with... was that disappointment in his eyes? It couldn't be. The voicemail began to record right as I stepped through the door of the kitchen.

"Hello, Selene? It's Richard. Listen, the benefactors of the charity concert have decided to host a Gala to raise some clout for the main event among the rich and famous. You'll need to make an appearance, of course. By the grace of God, I've budgeted you a gown fund. They want to know if you'll be bringing a plus one. Let me know. Did I mention this is Richard? Ok, good. Goodbye."

Richard's voicemails always ran up to the beep, and were as breathless and rushed as the man himself.

"So you need a plus one, do you? I'd be happy to oblige." I jumped a little at his voice in my ear. How had he snuck up on me like that? I turned to find him way too close for comfort, and staring at me with those dark eyes of his. He unnerved me in ways no man ever had, and I found it annoying and unwelcomed. But it would be torture to go alone, and too much effort to find a suitable date for the evening...

"Fine, you can come. We go shopping tomorrow. Morning good for you? I have a prior engagement in the evening."

"Shopping, what for?

"You'll need a suitable tuxedo. And I need a gown"