twenty three

THE HALLOWEEN sun hadn't fully set and already the candy wrappers blew over the leaf-strewn sidewalk. with the sun so low in the sky the scene reminds seolmin of years ago, the picture in her mind almost sepia toned, like the movies her grandma watches. only the new-model cars parked in the school parking lot gave it away that this wasn't nineteen sixty something. next to her walks heejin, the most important "vampire" in the world, eighteen years old and still doesn't know how to wear fake fangs like a pro.

"when will you learn to wear fake fangs? youtube makeup tutorials are free." seolmin snorts indicating at heejin's crooked fangs. she quickly covers her mouth in embarrassment, "when will you remember to wear long earrings?" heejin laughs at seolmin's attempt at being a 70s diva.

the girls stopped infront of the hall room, the huge banner hanging at the door saying 'welcome to halloween party!' bass boosted loud music could be heard from inside, fake spider webs, balloons and badly carved pumpkins scattered all around the hallway replacing the important notices on the notice boards. the party looks more like a toddler's birthday party than a halloween party. heejin nudges seolmin, "who decorated this?" earning a whisper from seolmin, "how would i know?"

"hey! how's the decoration?" chenle dressed as a detective suddenly came from the back, a proud smile plastered on his face, making two of the girls flinch. "its great...but the pumpkins" seolmin looked over at the pumpkins scattered on the floor, badly curved. chenle had carved the scariest faces he could into the pumpkins, they weren't nearly frightening enough. he wanted them to make those trick-or-treaters jump, because only then would they laugh and cling to one another all the way to the main entrance. he huffed and stuck his hands on his hips, "yeah that was a failure, the pumpkins weren't ripe enough."

there weren't many familiar faces inside, seolmin assumes no one showed up, obviously because the time says seven which pretty much means no one's going to arrive before eight. the table and chairs only filled with a few people dressed as zombies and anime characters, the buffet table filled with stacks plates and cups which is going to end up on the tables in a few hours. the interior decoration is particularly not very different from the exterior one, the excessive amount of jack o lanterns just makes the difference.

"are we too early? you should've listened to me, i said we should get out at six forty." heejin sits on one of the chairs, complaining about how her makeup's going to "melt" and literally how no one has showed up yet. seolmin quickly spots renjun dressed up as a gryffindor talking to the dj who she also recognises as one of players from the soccer team. "stop complaining, renjun's literally there!"

the girls walk over to renjun with seolmin making sure she doesn't trip on the long sparkly black dress she's wearing paired with the high heels. heejin quickly hugs renjun, "i literally thought no one came yet! this girl here made me start doing my makeup at five thirty." renjun's heart skips a beat when he finally looks over at the petite girl next to heejin, "oh hi you look really good, i genuinely mean it!" he gives her the sweetest smile without even realising. "thanks! i actually stole the dress from my mom's closet." seolmin chuckles.

heejin coughs to gain back their attention, "sorry to interrupt but where's everyone?" renjun looks back at heejin again "we are having a sleep over tonight at my place becomes hyuck insisted so jeno's taking time convincing his dad, donghyuck's doing some zombie makeover and i don't know about jaemin. i assume he's dressing up as a pirate, saw him buying some eye patches."

the hallway starts littering with people, dressed in hundreds of different costumes, from dull black costumes to glittery costumes to fancy hair colours. the crowd keeps getting bigger and bigger, making temperature rise in the room. the song blasting on the speakers isn't the chill rnb song anymore; instead the popular songs which plays on the radio 24/7 makes a cameo. the skeletons danced on plasma screen closer and further away again. hana, who finally showed up as a mermaid giggled, "did you notice these skeletons' dance matches with the beat."