Chapter one

It was summer, which mean it wasn't long until we would be starting high school. Where are my manners, hi I'm Y/n Diaz and I'm currently outside a high school party with my friends Monse, Jamal and Ruby. My brother Cesar is currently getting us some drinks. "Why is he so slow today? What's he doing dancing with girls?" I said making them laugh.

"I don't know, all I know is I'm thirsty." Monse said making me smile. We all got distracted with watching Ruby's older brother, Mario making out with his girlfriend. "Do you see him? I don't see him." Monse asked a little while later.

"Something bad is happening. I can feel it. I knew this was a dumb idea." Jamal said talking down on our situation.

"Pop a zannie, J. We can't see him 'cause he's being stealth." Ruby said to us, that was true.

"Exactly, so just chill." I said to Jamal while giving him a reassuring smile.

"No doubt. He's got this. When has Cesar ever disappointed?" Monse asked us.

"I can think of a few occasions." I said with a little nod.

"Mmm, fourth grade. Kickball tourney. We lost." Jamal said while looking at Monse.

"Only 'cause I picked the kid with no skills. And I'd pick you again." Cesar said before throwing a beer to Jamal, who struggled to catch it. He then threw me a beer. "Loyalty trumps victory, compa." He added before giving Ruby and Monse a beer. He then joined us. "Take it in. This is about to be us. This is high school." Cesar said before we all took a swig of our beer. The worst thing would be the preppy cheerleaders but other than that it was going to be great.

"I mean apart from the cheerleaders, I think it could be ok." I said with a smile. I knew what Cesar was thinking 'be more optimistic.' But how could I be.

"Ruby, you think your brother's gonna marry Angelica?" Monse asked him, I was gonna ask the same thing seeming as they'd been making out the whole time.

"No idea. Mario tells me jack." Ruby said, I heard Jamal start laughing.

"What about that time he said Angelica has a dangler?" Jamal said making Ruby give him an annoyed look. "But he said that." Jamal added while looking at the reaction he was getting.

"In private! Time and place, dude. Oh, guys, check out Huerita at nine o'clock. Monse and Y/n, if you were a girl- -"
Ruby said before me and Monse cut him off.

"We are girls." We said at the same time, what ever did he mean by that.

"Yeah, but if you were girls like that, would you wear underwear?" Ruby asked us, I'm just act like he said that to us.

"Oh, my god, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die." Jamal started repeating over and over again.

"Why are you gonna die?" Monse asked him, I had an inkling as to why he was gonna die.

"Those guys play for the 'Ridge. Did you know that last year alone over a quorum of kids- -" He started saying before me and Monse cut him off.

"Died playing football?" We said at the same time, we'd heard this all before.

"You're stuck on repeat. So, don't play." Monse said to him.

"Besides your not gonna die, because we won't let that happen." I said to him, I wasn't gonna lie that I had a few feelings for him.

"No choice. My pops was a legend. It's family tradition. I'm dead." He said before getting off the makeshift platform we were stood on and getting to the ground. He was squatting with his head down.

"You're not dead." Monse said while jumping off the platform.

"Football spiral." Cesar said, we both jumped down and went to Jamal who started to hyperventilate. He then started whimpering, Cesar crouched and looked at Jamal. "Jamal, CTE is not in your future." Cesar said, I saw Ruby turn round to look at us.