4 Enter the Dragon

April 1

You know that feeling of being trapped, as if you were in a room with no windows, hoping to avoid certain people while looking for a way to escape? I was having one of those days on a Monday when I ran into not one, but wait... two exes in one day.

Just my luck. It was also April Fool's Day.

It was like being in the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon, where the hero tries to escape from a room full of mirrors, while being hunted by the claw-handed super villain. These two end up in an awkward confrontation. Amp up the levels of awkwardness by a thousand volts when the cheesy 1970s porn music starts playing in the background, and there you have it: the feeling of bumbling, awkward claustrophobia.

The morning bus ride to work started off in a rather non-eventful way. I was reading a trashy romance novel at the back of a tired, smelly bus that motored its way into the heart of the city, when I felt a large presence overshadow my sunshine.

I was about to fire out a groan of exasperation in response to the invasion of my personal privacy, when I looked up to see a pair of familiar dark eyes.

"Kingsey?" The deep, brown eyes questioned me.

I had not been called that name since... oh no. Brock Miller.

Shit. FML. Is this some kind of joke?

A hurricane of memories invaded my already occupied mind.

It's flashback time, so let's remove the color in this memory

It's flashback time, so let's remove the color in this memory. Make it black and white, like an Ed Wood-inspired schlock horror film.

Now, let's unlock and open that hidden door in the back of my mind to unleash a sad and sorry memory

In the second year of my undergraduate degree, I struck a conversation with a tall, solid fellow who sat next to me during one of the lectures. Brock Miller was a popular guy who played for the university's Rugby football team. He wore polo shirts and left the collar up, which was the stereotypical preppie-jock fashion exhibited in films like Revenge of the Nerds.