6 Reincarnation

To mums of the world, including my mother-a Madonna fan, this chapter is for you. Tap the media above to listen to Express Yourself. It conveys strength, vulnerability, and power.

***

July

Fifth generation fighter jets bulleted across the midnight sky as the war progressed on this diseased planet. The sound of rifles firing and soldiers shouting infiltrated the stale air.

I heard the thunderous sound of a terrifying explosion, while the ground beneath me shook.

"The machines are winning the war, Sergeant King," Private Hansen declared, as we took shelter in a restroom area behind an abandoned Shell gas station.

We were trapped in this cyberpunk world invaded by Terminators from Skynet, an artificial neural network whose objective was to delete all humans from existence. Private Sven Hansen and I were part of the resistance, which was a diminishing colony of humans fighting a losing war.

Private Hansen sizzled and smoked in camouflage battle dress uniform (BDU) pants, with a button fly. He carried a 24 Sniper Weapon System (SWS) rifle and his dark military boots made him look formidable. Sexy. Edible.

His bare chest was oiled, accentuating his muscled glory, and parts of his solid biceps were smeared with dark grease.

Another deafening explosion rocked the ground, which caused me to lose balance and fall, only to be lifted up by this shirtless, virile Viking stud in a pair of camo-army pants.

He brought me into a close embrace with his chiseled (shirtless, may I add again?), greasy body and lifted my chin to gaze into his wide ocean eyes. His eyebrows knitted and his long, dark-blond lashes lowered, as he drew his lips close to mine.

"What's the last thing you would like to do before the end of the world, my Sergeant?" Sven's husky, deep voice was enough for my knees to weaken and my libido to rise like a tidal wave.

Shit. Hot damn.

"Say it. I know you want it. Let's make this wish come true." His mouth resuscitated my dry lips, and his tongue tangoed together with mine. His hands tightened around my waist and he grinded his hips against mine, sending me into a state of blissful ecstasy.

"I want to-"

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Shit, they're coming! Run, Sven! Save yourself," I hollered as the world I was in began to shake, crumble and dissipate into nothing but a dream that was brutally shattered by the sound of my phone alarm.

***

After regaining conscious awareness, I looked at the time on my phone and groaned. It was nine a.m. on a Saturday and I had to drive my sister, Verity, to volleyball practice.

Verity's creepy boyfriend drove her car while he was high and smashed it against a wall in an undercover parking lot. Needless to say, her car was being repaired, and she needed to get to volleyball practice by ten a.m. I was her lucky ticket-her golden ride and taxi driver.

Her boyfriend, Rodney Fletcher, cheated on her a few months ago. Not to mention that he stole my Bob Marley gold collection CD when they first started dating.

However, Verity, being a feeble-hearted fool, took him back. His friends called him "Razza" or "Razzer." I called him "Pinhead." He reminded me of Pinhead, the main character from an old horror movie called Hellraiser.

Like his movie namesake, this Pinhead was bald, thin and pale, with evil eyes and a nasally voice. Rodney didn't have the pins adorned on his head, but I wished little demons would transport him into a hellish realm where they would impale his flaccid skin with large pins.