6 Missy.

The ride to the Welphelt's home blows Missy's mind. She's never been to this part of the world, nor seen in person many of the things they pass: The Hollywood Bowl; Street performers in front of the Chinese Theater; Giant LED billboards along the Sunset Strip.

Riley turns right off Sunset, heading up to the 'bird' streets. There is no fog upon L.A., but a tow truck does cross their path on the way downhill. A Maserati the same color as Paige's rides on the truck's deck.

"Is that my car?" Paige asks.

"Austerity measures," Riley says with an arid delivery.

Riley parks in the driveway and retrieves Missy's suitcase from the trunk. The yard's neglect shows, the gardener being one of austerity's first victims.

This is a lot for Missy to take in. She's only seen homes like this on television. Paige and Riley guide Missy through the home but allow her to explore at her own pace. She investigates everything with a detailed eye. The view of LA down below is especially captivating. When they open the door to her new bedroom, Missy stops in her tracks.

"It's okay," Paige tells her. "You can go in." Missy takes cautious steps into the room.

"We're new at this," Riley says, trying to break the ice. "You can tell us if we've forgotten anything. Can you swim?" Missy nods. "We can jump in the pool this afternoon. If it's clean."

Disappointment covers Missy's face. Paige empathizes.

"Maybe we need to get you a swimsuit first?" she asks. Missy nods her head again. Riley sets her suitcase on a luggage stand.

"You can use this," he says, patting the dresser beside the stand.

"Which drawer is for socks and which one is for underwear?" Missy asks.

"Whichever you prefer," Paige says, opening a cedar-lined closet. "There are plenty of hangars. Let me know if you need help to unpack." Riley motions to yet another door.

"Your bathroom is right here."

"My bathroom?" Riley points out a laptop on a small desk.

"And I already set this computer up on the wifi," he says.

"I'm allowed to touch it?" Missy asks.

"Of course," Paige assures and hands her a cellphone. "This is for you, in case of emergencies. I programmed our numbers. If you ever get stuck anywhere, use this app called Carry and a taxi will come to wherever you are and take you wherever you want to go. Any questions?"

Missy thinks, but the only thing that comes to mind is Paige's pulled-back hairstyle.

"Does your hair hurt? It looks like it hurts." There is no way to respond to that, so Riley changes the subject.

"Honey," he says to Paige, "why don't we make lunch and let Missy get settled in?"

"Good idea," Paige says. She and Riley duck into the hallway and head to the kitchen.

"Vodka?" Riley asks.

"Just try to stop me."

Missy secures Squiggle between two of the bed's decorative pillows.

She switches the fan and heater on and off in the bathroom. Runs her finger across the glass vanity top. Smells the French-milled soap. Squeezes the Egyptian cotton towels. Presses her hands on the floor-to-ceiling shower door.

A loud gasoline engine starts outside. Missy returns to the bedroom and peers out the window to see next door, a mow & blow guy operating a leaf blower.