12 Gretchen McCarthy.

Early phone calls sidetrack Riley's morning and now he is running late. Paige is already on the road, driving Missy to school. Riley will bus it to the office. When he finally opens the front door, he finds a sturdy woman of about sixty, about to ring the bell.

"Riley Welphelt?" the woman asks.

"Yes?" he says. The woman holds up a badge.

"Gretchen McCarthy, L.A. County Family Services. I'd like to ask you a few questions."

Behind Riley, Arlene hears Gretchen's voice and tiptoes away.

"Is this a survey?" Riley asks. "I'm late for work."

"It will only take a moment or two. It's regarding a Dolores Evans." She holds up a dossier with a picture of Mrs. Evans. Riley does a respectable job not shitting his pants. "I understand you and your wife were at Ms. Evans' home recently?"

"Yes. My wife and I are looking into adopting."

"I see," she says, and produces a dossier with Missy's picture attached. "Did you happen to speak to this child while you were there?" Riley pretends to study the photo as he squeezes his butt cheeks.

"Yes. Missy. Cute kid. Is anything wrong?" Gretchen stares at him, saying nothing. Riley is certain he will lose control of his sphincter in less than ten seconds.

"We haven't classified this as a criminal investigation," she says, adding, "Yet."

"Criminal? Wow," Riley says. "I'm sorry, but I have to catch my bus." Gretchen glances into the house.

"You ride the bus?"

"Just doing my part." Gretchen hands him a business card.

"If you hear from Missy, call me."

"Why would I hear from her?" he asks. Gretchen inhales fast and lets the air out slow.

"You never know."

Paige and Missy approach the drop off at Buckler.

"Arlene will pick you up. If she's not here by quarter after three, call me." Missy reaches for the door handle, but hesitates opening it.

"Am I bad because I don't like her?" she asks. The question stuns Paige but she is not surprised.

"Of course not," she says, "but it never hurts to get to know someone." Missy summons the courage to ask Paige a question.

"Is it all right if I try out for the swim team?" She's used to a request like that being met with a harsh 'no.' Paige surprises her.

"That's a terrific idea," she tells Missy and means it. She understands the value of team activities. Missy surprises Paige with a tight hug. Paige puts her arms around Missy. Before things get out of control, Missy breaks away, opens the door, and rushes off to school without acknowledging her actions.

Paige arrives at the production office to find Riley pacing in circles.

"We've got trouble," he fires at Paige before she can even set down her belongings. Then, before Riley can elaborate, Hal appears, carrying a cardboard file box.

"Hey, guys," Hal says. "Just saying goodbye. We got canceled."

"Oh, no," Paige says.

"What happened?" Riley asks. They screened the pilot to a focus group. The response was brutal, especially regarding Lindsey Green's performance. Hal and his team regrouped and made adjustments based on the feedback, but a reconfigured pilot didn't fare much better. Jerry had no choice but to pull the plug.