8 One Hundred Dollars.

-Saturday-

The Welphelts wrestle with traffic on the Ventura freeway. Even on the weekend, it's gridlocked.

"Why does anyone live in the Valley?" Riley wonders. Missy pipes up from the rear seat.

"The average price of a home in Encino is $394 per square foot. In your neighborhood, it's $763."

"Really?" Paige is surprised at those numbers.

"That's what the internet says."

It takes longer than the GPS predicted, but they are not late to the point of impolite when Riley pulls the car into the valet line in front of Jerry's McMansion. The Welphelts follow the pedestrian flow through the house out to the backyard, where they discover they are, yet again, over-dressed for the occasion. Khaki rules the day.

Given the amount of child activity, it's a relatively sedate affair. Nannies mind the kids in the pool. Hired servants work the barbeque at peak capacity. No one goes without food or drink. Paige and Riley are nervous being this far out of their comfort zone as they guide backpack-wielding Missy into the fray. Hal and Mary have spotted them and rush to their side.

"Not so bad, right?" Hal says.

"Define 'bad,'" Paige challenges. Mary takes one look at Missy and gushes.

"You must be Missy. I've heard so much about you."

"Very nice to meet you, ma'am." Missy impresses Mary. As does her bathing suit.

"That suit is adorable," she says to Paige and whispers, "Is that Dior?"

"I couldn't resist," Paige says through a proud but clenched smile. Jerry makes a booming entrance commensurate for a man running a television network. 

"Welphelts! Welcome!" Riley extends his hand.

"Thanks for inviting us, Jerry."

"We're all one big family," Jerry says, "and I can't wait to meet the newest member." He bends down to Missy's eye level. "Hello there, young lady. My name is Jerry. Welcome to my house."

"My name is Missy. You have a very lovely home, Jerry. Thank you for inviting me... I mean, thank you for inviting everyone." Jerry can't contain his joy.

"Would you like to go swimming?"

"That sounds delightful." She turns to Riley and asks, "May I?" Riley nods. Jerry offers Missy his hand.

"Let's take you to the pool. I'll introduce you to my son." He turns to Paige and Riley, beaming. "You two. We're going to talk later."

As Jerry and Missy walk away, Mary says, "You hit the jackpot with that one."

"Did you see Jerry fawning over her," Hal says. "Man, Connery could stand some of Missy's charm." Ya think? Paige and Riley are off to a great start but across the yard, Laura scowls at Paige.

After everyone has been fed and pooled, the children explore the backyard and the adults gather in the living room for conversation in a calm environment. Jerry wants to know what Paige and Riley have planned for their immediate future. Paige describes their home life and adjusting to having Missy. Jerry cuts her short and explains that he's talking about work. What do they have lined up?

"We've got a few offers," Riley lies. "But we're waiting for the right thing to come along." Jerry nods his head. He's obviously got something brewing.

"Let me run something by you," he says.

Meanwhile, in a secluded part of the yard, out of adult earshot, Jona, Connery, and a handful of kids from the clique surround Missy. Like back-alley gamblers, they lay down a gauntlet of the latest top-line phones. 'Take that, Missy,' their actions say. Missy sees their bet and, in an 'Oh, yeah' move, raises the stakes. She reaches into her backpack and produces Riley's vape kit. This doesn't generate much of a reaction until Missy opens the box and all bets are off as the other kids lean in for a closer look, their eyes wide.