Chapter Six

We arrived before any other police cars had shown up. Diego had turned off the car, and I decided now was the best time to become visible again.

        "What the—" Diego exclaimed, as I popped into existence. "I thought I left you at the bus stop with Klaus. You're not supposed to be here."

        "Can't get rid of me that easily," I retorted. "Plus, I think I can help."

        "No, you need to go."

        He began to leave the car; I followed him. He walked towards the entrance to Griddy's Doughnuts. There was no way I was going home now.

        "Don't think so. If you're planning on going in there and searching for evidence or asking questions, it's going to look a lot less suspicious if you have a partner. You're better off having me here."

        I didn't look very professional in my dress and leggings, but honestly neither did he. At least he had taken his mask off and put on a jacket. He entered first, not even holding the door open for me. Rude. The place was a mess, and bodies littered the ground and tables. One had a knife in their eye; others had slit throats, and a few had been shot to death. I took a deep breath, the scene reminding me of my own dirty work.

        A lady dressed in pink was crouched behind the counter and had begun to stand up as we walked around the shop. Her blond hair was up in a bun, and she was shaking.

        "Can I help you?" she asked, wearily.

        Diego turned towards her. "Yes, I'm a detective who was sent to question any possible witnesses." He flashed a badge. "Did you see anything that happened?"

        "Anything will help," I added, trying to comfort her.

        Diego and I sat down on the yellow bar stools as she started to explain what had gone on just minutes prior to our arrival.

        "It was my shift. I'm Agnes by the way, Agnes Rofa, and it was a slow night. Quiet. I had two customers come in, an older guy and I think it was his kid. The guy had an éclair, while the kid . . . had coffee. I left for the back room to get a little more change. However, his truck started before I came back in. They drove off. Next thing I knew, shots were being fired. I hid under my desk, and by the time I got back in here, they were all. . ." she motioned towards the bodies.

        I put a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay. I understand."

        "If you don't mind," Diego started. "Me and my . . . partner here just need to take a look around."

        She nodded slowly, and we got up. Diego went to the right side of the shop, so I went to the left. There were bullet casings on the ground that I hoped Diego could recognize. He seemed to know what he was doing, and I wondered if he had tried to become a cop at some point. He knew the procedures.

        It was at that moment that police cars began to show up. I gave Diego a look. We needed to go.

        "We got everything we need," Diego told Agnes. "Thank you for your cooperation."

        He motioned for me to follow him, and we headed to the side exit. There was a small closet-like room before reaching outside. We waited in there for a minute or two prior to exiting the building as we could hear the cops entering. The hope that we could get out without anyone noticing was a failure. As we opened the metal door to leave, I heard Diego curse.

        "Shit. Hang on, let me—"

        A woman with a dark ponytail was waiting for us, taser in hand. She walked right up to Diego and tased him. It buzzed, and he groaned before falling to his knees, and finally face-planting. She gave me a look as if to say, do you want me to do this to you too? I put my hands up in defeat, and she handcuffed me.