Chapter Seventeen

It wasn't long before the sound of a rumbling engine could be heard. A blue car came down the road. Two people who I presumed were the assassins Hazel and Cha-Cha could be seen through the windshield.

        "Here we go," announced Five.

        The two boys immediately opened their doors. I followed suit but was a little more hesitant knowing that these two had managed to kill Patch and leave me with some pretty nasty scars. Luther had our fake briefcase in hand, and I had to wonder if they'd fall for it. I heard Five earlier, but wouldn't they know precisely what theirs looked like? If it was that important to them, what was stopping them from inspecting it before we ran off? These questions echoed in my head as their vehicle passed ours and stopped further down the street. I stood beside Luther.

        Five walked over to us. "If this all goes sideways, do me a favor and tell Delores I'm sorry."

        I nodded. The assassins popped open their car doors. Masks on, they came over to the three of us. Their shadows were elongated by the sun, and I could tell by the look on their faces that they were as desperate as expected. Five went to meet them, leaving Luther and me with the case.

        "The masks really necessary?" he asked.

        They flung them off their heads. I took a step back when I saw the gun in Hazel's hands. Luther gave me a concerned glance. Waving it off, I brought my attention back to the dangerous duo.

        Cha-Cha was annoyed. "So where is it, kid?"

        "Wow, that's how you're gonna start. You know, we can get right back in our car and call it a day."

        She pulled out her pistol. "You won't even make it halfway there."

        "Maybe. But as I'm sure you found out in your previous foray, my brother is not your average giant."

        "He's right," Hazel spoke up. "You dropped a chandelier on him, got right back up."

        "By the time you took him out, he'd smash your precious briefcase to a pulp, and my sister," Five chuckled. "Well, she's got some tricks of her own. I'm sure she wouldn't mind showing you some after what you did last night."

        "We get it. So, how do we help each other?"

        I smiled at the way Five was able to play them so easily, but part of me was still screaming to head back into the car and drive off. Getting shot wasn't something I wanted to experience twice.

        "I need you to get in contact with your superior so I can have a chat with her. Face-to-face."

        Cha-Cha wasn't as sure as her partner. "About what?"

        "Well, I don't believe that's any of your concern."

        "Just don't tell her about the briefcase."

        "Fair enough."

        She walked over to the phone booth, and Hazel followed keeping his back to her in case we tried to pull something. Five turned around and made his way back to us. Everything was going according to plan, just the way I liked it. Since there was the possibility of us dying if something went wrong, it was good we hadn't messed up yet. We met Five at the end of the car.

        "What happens now?" Questioned Luther.

        "Now we wait."

        I tapped my fingers on the trunk. Cha-Cha finished the call and headed back to Hazel. The two stood side by side in their suits, and I had to admit, they looked professional. My dress and leggings seemed too casual for the occasion. Without warning, "Ride of the Valkyries" started playing, and the chimes were similar to those of an ice cream truck. We all gazed towards the source.