Chapter Twenty-Eight

People were screaming, and Luther ordered us all to get down. Like that wasn't the first thing to come to mind. We hid behind counters and such as the firing continued.

        "Who the hell are these guys?" Diego yelled over the noise.

        Klaus' face lit up. "Maybe they're here for Kenny's birthday!"

        "No, I'm pretty sure they're here for us!" insisted Luther.

        I placed a hand over my heart. "Yo, really? I had no idea?"

        Diego stood up and chucked a knife at one of the guys knocking him to the ground but also turning on the sound system and dimming the lights. S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, hey. S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y. Hey. Keep on dancin' to the rock and roll. Luther threw a bowling bowl and hit another gunman. On Saturday night. Saturday night. Dancin' to the rhythm with our heart and soul. Klaus grabbed the birthday cake as I unsheathed my katana. It was time to have a little fun.

        Tuning out the music, I turned invisible along with my weapon and as with as much grace as a dancer began weaving in and out of the men, dodging any bullet that came my way. I noticed the looks of confusion on my family's faces as bodies started to drop seemingly out of nowhere. Reappearing for a second, I gave them a thumbs up, removing my katana from a dead body I was holding down with my foot. Then I fell right back into the beat of my destruction having a few seconds to breathe before the next wave came in.

        Klaus alerted us. "They're blocking the exit!"

        "So, what's the plan now, Luther?" I heard Diego probe.

        "The lanes! Let's go!"

        I held off the bad guys for a few moments more before chasing after my family. We each took a lane, and I became visible once more as we formed a diagonal line. Sliding through the pins, I found myself protected in the small room we had entered and smiled as we left the alley. Diego came beside me as I sheathed my blade.

        "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

        "Hah! And to think you doubted my abilities as an assassin the other day."

•~•

        After we made sure that everyone was still together, we went to the Icarus Theater to find and stop Vanya. Looking back at the past week I'd spent with my family, I couldn't stand the idea of losing them, even Luther. I mean, he was a jerk most of the time, and I had a feeling almost all of this was his fault, but that didn't mean he wasn't my brother. The orchestra was already playing by the time we arrived.

        Allison stopped Luther from charging in as the rest of us continued walking. I NEED TO GO ALONE.

        "Wha-. Allison, I can't let you do that, all right? She's beyond reasoning."

        Diego trudged over to them. "You hear the music? It's started."

        "Do you honestly think she's gonna listen? After everything that's happened?"

        "We don't have time for this," Klaus noted.

        "Okay."

        I was shocked, Luther had let Allison go by herself to try and talk to Vanya. Knowing the bond those two had started to create, I hoped that we might be able to avoid fighting at all costs. It wasn't until Diego realized what Luther was doing that I got upset.

        "You're using her as a distraction, aren't you?"

        My head whipped toward Luther. "You better not be or so help me God."