Chapter Eight

As we exited the academy, Five made it clear that he wanted us to be on our best behavior. It's peculiar being told to behave by a thirteen-year-old. After walking for only a few minutes, we rounded the corner and found ourselves in a building titled "Meritech Prosthetics" — The proper place to find the owner of any glass eye.

        The building seemed relatively new, or at least kept up to date. The walls were glass windows, allowing one to see a large portion of the city.  Five guided us to an elevator and we made our way to the fifth floor. The elevator opened and as we stepped out, the receptionist seemed to be startled by Five's appearance. I could only assume he had tried to come here before.

        He looked up at the woman. "My parents would like to speak to Dr. Bigs now. We have a couple of questions regarding that eye from earlier."

        The receptionist swallowed. "O-of course. I believe he's right in his office."

        She brought us over to a small glass room and had us sit in front of his desk. The doctor looked up at us. He wore a white lab coat and had short, dark brown hair. He sighed after the woman left. Five sat between Klaus and I and seemed anxious to get this over with.

        I started the conversation. "Dr. Bigs, our son here," I said, glancing at Klaus. "Has truly set his mind on finding the owner of this eye. It would be beneficial to us all if you could just tell us. Save a lot of time, you know."

        "Like I told your son earlier, any information about the prosthetics we build is strictly confidential." The doctor clasped his hands, elbows resting on the table. "Without the client's consent, I simply can't help you."

        Five stood up and leaned toward the man. "Well, we can't get consent if you don't give us a name."

        "Well, that's not my problem. Sorry. Now, there's really nothing more I can do, so—"

        Klaus suddenly spoke. "And what about my consent."

        Five and I looked at him confused. What did his consent have to do with anything? We didn't have a name, and this Bigs fellow didn't seem like he was going to give us one any time soon.

        The doctor turned to him. "Excuse me?"

        Klaus' eyes gleamed momentarily. "Who gave you permission to lay your hands on my son?"

        He pointed to Five, tears appearing in his eyes. Klaus was fake crying at this point, and I finally understood where he was going with this. Was it crazy? Yes, but after being his friend for years on end, I knew that that was all Klaus knew how to be. This was bound to be something like the schemes he used to run by me back when we were kids.

        Both Five and Dr. Bigs were perplexed. "What?" They asked.

        "You heard me."

        "I didn't touch your son."

        Klaus leaned forward. "Oh, really? Well, then how did he get that swollen lip, then?

        "He doesn't have a swollen—"

        At that moment, Klaus stood up and, without warning, slapped Five directly in the face. Five gasped, and Bigs's eyes widened in shock and fear. I just laughed, a smirk crossing my face as Klaus continued.

        "I want it. Name, please. Now."

        I picked a pair of scissors off the desk, slicing the skin on my jaw with them. "You heard the man."