Chapter Twenty-Six

After my shock subsided, I calmly told Hazel, "I presume you're here to see Five."

        "That was the plan."

        "Follow me."

        It didn't concern me that I was letting one of the two people who had almost killed me. In fact, I was more interested in why he had come here and thought it was only fair to give him a chance. He scratched his head as we made our way back to Five.

        "Hey, weren't you dead?"

        "Surprise!" I exclaimed, waving my hands in the air. "Couldn't get rid of a Hargreeve that easily. Oh, and why don't you lower the gun. Might bring. . . unexpected violence."

        "Oh. Shit. Sorry. Old habits." Hazel tucked it away in his pocket as we neared the bar.

        I went back to my drink. "Special guest, Five."

        "Do you have my sister? And if not, would you like a margarita?" Five asked, waving towards the half-full blender. "You're here to kill me?"

        "No. Well, I can understand why you might feel that way, you know. . ."

        "Well, you attacked our house, tried to kill my family, and kidnapped my brother before trying to kill my sister again."

        I nodded. Hazel didn't have the best track record. Still, something had got him to come here without his partner and chat with Five without it being over some silly contract to kill him. I'd say he was making strides.

        "Well, there's not much I can do about the past. Don't forget I'm not the only killer in this room. You got your own bloody history, pal. Speaking of which, the job you did in Calhoun, that shit's legendary. Can't believe I'm actually sittin' here talkin' to you, after all—"

        "I used to be pretty legendary too," I mumbled getting an eye-roll from Five. 

        "Hazel, why are you here?"

        "Well, I'm, you know—"

        He was cut off once again, this time due to Diego kicking him to the ground. Way to be a jerk. I loved him but he could be a real pain sometimes. Five was yelling at him to stop. I joined in.

        "Come on, Diego. We were having a lovely little chat before you had to start beating the poor guy."

        Diego did a flip over Hazel before ordering him to get up. When he didn't, Diego proceeded to kick him in the face repeatedly. Punches were thrown and it seemed as though the lunatic who had broken into our home nights before stood no chance.

        Five stirred his drink. "You know, before you kill him, you might wanna hear what he has to say."

        However, it was time for Hazel to retaliate and the fight just got worse. It wasn't long before Diego had pulled out one of his knives, threatening to kill him for what he'd done to Patch. Hazel begged Five to do anything, but I glanced over to see him mumbling about his brother's stupidity. Diego was slicing him knife through the air causing Hazel to jump and dodge the blade to the best of his ability. Next thing I knew, I was cringing as the sharp weapon was stabbed into Hazel's thigh. A sharp inhale came from Five.

        "That's gotta hurt."

        Part way through, I decided to stop watching, flinching every now and then from the audible wounds being inflicted. The only time I looked up was when Diego decided it was okay to sink his teeth in his opponent's ear. Five quickly put down his glass and spacial jumped over to them a different glass object in his hands. He crashed it down over Diego's head causing him to fall to the floor unconscious.