Chapter Twenty-Four

It was dark as we pulled up the dirt road towards Jenkin's grandmother's house once more. This time we went straight to the front door and found the lights outside shaking along with a chair. Everything was moving as if a storm had appeared and the winds were blowing like crazy. Reassuring our belief that Vanya was here, a song could be heard being played on a violin. It was beautiful. My curls blew in my face as we got closer to the front door.

        "Vanya? Is that you?" yelled Allison before entering the house.

        Even inside, everything was moving around, the curtains billowing. In the center of the room stood Vanya, who was facing away from us playing her violin.

        "Vanya, there you are. What is going on?" Allison queried, causing her to stop playing and turn to us.

        "What are you doing here?"

        "We came to find you. Are you okay?"

        "Yeah."

        "You had us worried," I explained.

        Then Allison brought up what we had seen as we'd come towards the house. "There's something weird going on. What's causing it?"

        "Me." That was all we got as an answer.

        "What do you mean, 'me'?"

        "I mean, I made those things happen. With my powers." I looked at her in shock, but also in pride. I knew what it was like to think you were different but then find out you were special the entire time. "Turns out I've had them all this time. It's weird, huh?"

        Allison gasped. "It's in-it's incredible."

        "But?"

        "Ca-Can we do this in the car?"

        "Why?"

        "You're not gonna want to hear it."

        "I agree with Allison. We might want to—"

        "Well, that's never stopped you before," stated Vanya with a hint of sass.

        I was starting to feel as though I was intruding. There was obviously some other issue between the two of them that was making the entire situation awkward and on edge. I only hoped that Vanya wouldn't flip when we explained what was happening.

        "Leonard Peabody? His real name is Harold Jenkins." Allison walked closer to her sister. I followed wearily. "Remember when I couldn't find anything in the library on Leonard? It's because Leonard Peabody doesn't exist. Harold Jenkins does. He was in prison for twelve years. He murdered his father when he was thirteen."

        "This is. . . insane. His dad was an engineer at the—"

        "I have the police report in the car, Vanya. I can show you."

        "I don't. . . I don't understand."

        "Leonard, Harold, I-I know it doesn't make any sense, and I know it sounds crazy, but we were in his house. He has pictures of all of us with our eyes gouged out."

        She still wasn't getting it. "Wh-What? I—"

        I got closer again, ready to drag Allison out of here if things got too messy. Vanya didn't seem to be taking any of this well at all.

        "I promise I will tell you everything in the car, but it is not safe." She grabbed Vanya's hand and tried to walk her out.

        "No, stop." Vanya sat down in one of the chairs.