Chapter 9

"This might hurt a little." Rachel told Finn as she prepared to rest the ice-bag onto his face.

Finn smiled and nodded as Rachel leant forward and carefully held the bag onto Finn's face. He winced slightly, though the pain was bearable. After his fight with Puck, Rachel insisted on staying with him to make sure he was OK.

"I still can't believe how hard Noah hit you." Rachel said thoughtfully with a frown on her face.

"Well, I hit him pretty hard too." Finn defended, though he didn't quite know why he was defending the guy that he had been fighting with not ten minutes ago.

"What were you fighting about?"

"Just stupid guy stuff." Finn shrugged off the question. Rachel noticed how he avoided the question and frowned.

"Come on, tell me." She prompted, a cheeky smile on her face.

Finn sighed and looked down. "I was fighting with Puck because he called you desperate." He said.

The smile left Rachel's face and she looked down. "He did?"

"I wasn't going to let him talk about you like that. You're an incredible person and when he said those things about you... I don't know. It made me so angry." Finn looked up at Rachel and caught her eye. Instead of looking upset like he was expecting, she looked...flattered?

"You were fighting for me?" She asked. A small smile playing on her lips.

"Of course." The corner of Finn's lips tugged up into a half-smile. "I'd fight for you any day Rachel Berry."

Rachel smiled and looked down so that Finn couldn't see just how happy she was to hear that. When she felt she was ready, she looked back up at him. She removed the ice-bag to look at the injury. Finn's face was already bruising and didn't look too good.

"Wow, this is a nasty looking bruise." Rachel commented as she reapplied the ice.

"Tell me about it." Finn chuckled.

"Is it weird that I like it?" Rachel asked. "It makes you look like a bad boy."

Finn smiled in amusement. "I might get into fights defending you more often."

Rachel laughed and put her hand on Finn's knee so that she had easier access to Finn's face. Finn looked down at Rachel's hand the moment he felt her touch him. He smiled to himself and put his hand on top of hers. She looked at him and caught his eye. She wanted more than anything to lean in and kiss him, and she would have done if it hadn't been for Quinn.

Finn must have thought the same thing as the next thing he said was about Quinn. "Did you see the look on Quinn's face when she broke up the fight?" He looked down with a hurt look on his face. "Like she resented me for hurting her precious Puck."

Rachel looked down at her hand as she didn't know how to respond. Luckily for her, Finn didn't need her to.

"You know, every time I do something wrong, Quinn will compare me to Puck. She's the only person who acts like Noah Puckerman is perfect." Finn shook his head. "It makes me feel that maybe we should break up so that she can be with him and I can be with-"

Rachel looked up to hear what he would say. When they made eye-contact Finn panicked and hesitated. He finally said, "someone like you."

Rachel smiled and looked at her hand which was still being held by Finn's "What's stopping you?" She asked.

Finn thought for a moment before shaking his head and shrugging. "I have no idea."

Quinn threw the blood-soaked tissue into the toilet and grabbed a fresh handful. She walked over to Puck who was leaning over one of the sinks. "Here." She said, handing him the new tissue.