Chapter 13

Finn walked, hands in his pockets, to the place he knew Quinn would be. The place where she always went when she was stressed: The bleachers. When they were dating, after every argument they had, big or small, he would go right to the bleachers to apologise. Quinn would never apologise, she was too stubborn for that.

Finn could see Quinn sitting near the top of the seating. He walked up the steps slowly, giving her plenty of time to leave if she still didn't want to talk with him. She looked at him and made eye-contact, before looking down again. But she didn't leaver. Finn walked a bit quicker and stopped in front of her.

"Is that seat taken?" He asked, looking at the seat next to her.

She shook her head and patted the space. "Sit." She instructed.

He smiled slightly and sat next to her. They sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments, neither really knowing what to say. Finn studied Quinn's features while she wasn't looking. As usual, it was impossible to tell what she was thinking. She was the Queen of repressing emotions. Eventually, Finn decided to speak.

"Are you still mad at me?" He asked quietly.

"I was never mad at you," Quinn replied, not looking directly at him. "I was just sad at the way our relationship ended."

Finn shrugged slightly. "We weren't meant to be together, I guess." He heard Quinn release a breath.

"I know." She looked up at Finn and he could see that she wanted to say something.

"What is it?" He asked. He knew her so well by now.

"I just don't get it." She admitted. "I care about you so much, yet our relationships never work out."

Finn smiled slightly and looked at his hands. "I was thinking about that a few days ago." He admitted. "You know what I think the problem is?" Quinn prompted him to continue. "We love each other, right?" Quinn nodded. "But we're not in love. There's a difference."

Quinn let out a small laugh, as if it had suddenly become obvious to her. "That makes sense."

"I think maybe our relationships don't work out because we haven't been in the right kind of relationship." Finn looked Quinn in the eyes and smiled. "We shouldn't date. We should be friends."

Quinn smiled and nodded. "I think that's a good idea. The thought of never talking to you again makes me so sad that I could cry, but the thought of dating you again..."

"Makes you want to strangle me." Finn finished, an amused smile on his face.

"Exactly." Quinn nodded, before they both burst out laughing.

"Let's make a pact." Finn said as the laughter died down. "That we'll never date again, but we'll be friends for the rest of our lives." He held a hand out to Quinn so they could settle the deal. "Deal?"

"No." Quinn frowned and shook her head. "I want to change one thing. We'll be best friends for the rest of our lives."

Finn grinned when Quinn shook his hand. He waited a moment before adding. "That was so cheesy."

Quinn began to laugh and looked down at the football field. For the first time in a long time, she was happy with her relationship with Finn. She was relieved that he wasn't her boyfriend, because she finally realised that she didn't enjoy being in that kind of relationship with him. There was just one thing missing.

"I need to do one more thing, and then I will officially be the happiest I've ever been." Quinn mused, looking up at Finn.

"What's that?" He asked curiously.