Chapter Twentysix-Care

"Wakey, wakey." Carol sang as she jumped on top of me. I threw a pillow at her.

Still half-asleep, I stumbled to their window and swooshed their curtain aside to reveal the flaming sun hiding behind some clouds, but still giving enough daylight so lights aren't needed.

I went to the restroom, window behind me, and peered into the mirror to see a girl with messed-up golden hair. I finger-combed it, did my usual morning routine, then turned to go. But then a speck of light caught my eye.

Frowning, I turned back to the mirror, but the caribbean green light faded to turquoise blue. The light outlined my body, reminding me of the time at the palace.

Wait.

The palace.

I gulped. I wasn't hallucinating.

I do have magic after all.

***

"Um, Jenna, you're sure that's all you need to eat?" Ben asked, concerned.

I nodded, then slid him a piece of papyrus, where I had written *Thanks.* on it earlier. I slipped on the hooded cloak that Miri had given me the previous day.

"Where are you going?" Ben called out.

I paused. *Miri's.* I scribbled.

"Alright." Ben said, doubt laced in his voice. "Be careful, okay?"

I grinned. *Are you actually worried about me?* The words on the papyrus said.

Ben reddened. "Um-I-I-um, I-I a-am!" He finally shouted after stuttering for so long.

I smiled softly at him. *Thank you for worrying about me.* I scrawled. Feeling that words can't express it, I stood up and went over to Ben to hug him.

He stilled for a moment, then awkwardly patted me on the back. "Um, Jenna, are you going to visit Miri?"

I jumped back. *Oh, I forgot! Sorry. Bye!* I tore off the inked message and threw it at him as I ran out the door, not wanting him to see my face, burning with embarrassment.

(A/N) Lalalala-VOTE-lalala-VOTE-lalalala.