Chapter Twentyeight-Crows

Carol

Staring out the window, I watched raindrops start to fall from the gray sky.

Jenna went off to play with Miri, already healed up from the snakebite that killed Grandpa, and here I am, stuck in the house. Ben has to run some errands for Mommy. At least they get to be outside, doing something.

I placed my head on a windowsill. Some edges of the roof peeked out, jutting a little bit over the wall, which blocked out some rain. A couple of crows started to gather. To pass the time, I recited one of my favorite rhymes:

"Counting Crows. One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, for for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret, never to be told, eight for a wish, nine for a kiss, ten for a time of joyous bliss." I sighed at the ninth one. Exactly what I hope for from Jax.

I shifted my weight, hoping the stiffness in my back would go away, but as I did so, there was a noise that sounded like paper crinkling. I reached under me, and pulled out a "MISSING" poster. I glanced at it, thankful that I went out yesterday and got one, otherwise it would've been soaked in the rain.

The poster had a picture of Jenna, which confirmed my theories of Jenna being a princess. I mean, c'mon! She has golden hair, for goodness's sake. Apparently she's the princess of the kingdom that is next to Ivywall village. I was going to confront her about it yesterday, but she came home late. And today, she is with Miri.

I gave up on confronting Jenna, but never told anyone, not even Ben, about her being royalty. No one.

I looked out the window in time to see a crow flying away from the rest. Stupid crow, going through the rain.

I counted the crows to find there were seven in all. A voice went through my head. "Seven for a secret, never to be told."

I blink. Am I dreaming? I pinch myself on my leg, and a burst of pain shot through. Answer: No.

After a moment, it finally sinks in.

"Don't worry Jenna." I whisper. "You might, but I won't tell anyone. Seven for a secret never to be told."

(A/N) One for a comment, two for a vote, three for a share, four for a follow...

They don't rhyme.