The Almost-Kiss

Huaze Lei sat on the beach, feeling the soft powdery sand beneath his feet as he watched the waves crash on the shore. It was close to midnight, and all of his friends had gone to bed. There was a campfire in the distance, and he could hear the happy chatter of the campers as their voices pierced through the cool, night air.

It had been two weeks since he arrived back from Paris. During the day, surrounded by people, he appeared his normal (sleepy) self, but at night, the memories which he had left behind in Paris threatened to haunt him, and he often tossed and turned in bed, unable to sleep. He came to the seaside to calm the raging thoughts in his mind and soul, hoping that the sound of the waves would lull his emotions.

It was a chilly spring day in Paris, remnant of the winter days. Lei was walking home along the Seine, after finishing his afternoon cup of coffee at a nearby cafe. He loved Paris. People were laid-back, just like him, and he loved to frequent the little cafes which popped up in every nook and corner of the city. He smiled remembering the shock which registered on Jing's face when she had opened her front door to find him standing there. Who would have thought that he would actually find the guts to trail her all the way to Paris?  Thanks to Shancai, he had indeed found the courage. Shancai. The corners of his mouth twisted in a smile again when he remembered her big brown eyes and her flushed face when she agitatedly told him to run after the love of his life.

The first few weeks had been wonderful. He had revelled in Jing's new-found admiration of him and he had been the perfect house-boyfriend. Jing had been pampered with breakfasts in bed, exquisite home-cooked dinners and freshly washed laundry. They had indulged in hugs and snuggles, affectionate kisses and passionate nights tangled together in bed.

But in recent days, he had found Jing to be cold and distant. She often stayed out late, saying that she found a new job interning at a law firm. It was difficult to reach her on her phone and it was several hours before she would return his calls and messages. Then today she told him that she would not be coming home till late at night and told him to have a day out sightseeing. He sighed, his walk picking up. It was too chilly for sightseeing. He wanted to get home quickly, out of the cold air.

Arriving home, he went to their bedroom to change out of his outdoor clothes. He saw a familiar female silhouette in their bed...and upon a second look, he realised that she was not alone.

The last thing he remembered was packing his suitcase and running from the apartment, tears streaming down his face while he could hear her whispering "sorrys" and sobbing "I didn't mean to hurt yous" calling after him.

Unbeknownst to him, the tears had started rolling down his face again and he quickly brushed them away with his hands. He felt a small, soft hand on his shoulder and he looked up. Shancai was peering anxiously at him. "What are you doing here? Go back to bed. Ah Si will be looking for you." She did not answer him but sat down next to him. His tears started to flow again and this time he made no attempt to stop them. His grief must have been contagious because soon after, Shancai found her tears start to drop as well. He looked at her.  "Why are you crying?" "I can't bear to see you so hurt," came her reply.

Lei gazed into those big brown eyes and Jing's face suddenly flashed before his own eyes. "Why isn't it you that I love?" he whispered, his hand caressing her face to wipe the tears off her cheek. He began to lean in slowly to kiss her. Shancai was too stunned to move while Lei's face was coming closer and closer to hers.

"STOP. RIGHT. THERE! GET AWAY FROM HER!!"

Lei turned around and saw a furious Daoming Si looking at them. His eyes were fiery and his nostrils were raging, breathing in and out heavily. He walked over and yanked Shancai away from Lei, putting a protective arm around her.

"I thought you were my brother! My best friend! How could you do this to me?? And Shancai is not your rebound!! I came looking for you because..because..." He could barely get his words out when a calm voice behind him spoke.

"Ah Si, take Shancai back to the room. Let me handle this."

All eyes turned to see the person who spoke stepping out of the shadows. They were so engrossed that they had not noticed her walking behind Si.

"Jing." said Lei flatly.

"You left so abruptly Lei. We need to talk."

"What is there to talk about? Are you going to brag about your new lover to me?"

Si and Shancai looked at each other nervously. "Let's go, Shancai. Let's give them some privacy." "As for YOU," he glared at her. "I'll deal with you back in the room." He took her hand and they walked off, leaving Lei and Jing standing on the beach staring at each other.