The Superhero

AN: For lindaisfangirling who loves the red coat just as much as I do (or maybe more!).

And credits to Dr-Cokebottles for the idea of a red coat story and kindly allowing me to write my own - her version is the 🔥🔥 one!

PS: I have not watched Endgame, so please don't be put off by the title - no spoilers here!
————————————————————————
Shancai wrinkled her nose in a frown. She was in the middle of spring-cleaning their closets and was determined to do a good job of it. She had finished sorting out her own wardrobe and her children's, Marie Kondo style, and now it was time to tackle the most difficult closet of all - her husband's.

In the 5 years or so of being married, Shancai had never once attempted to clean out his closet, knowing it would be an uphill task. But today he had given her the mandate to sort, and told her that he trusted her to keep those items of clothing which he treasured the most. How do I do that?? She groaned inwardly to herself. How does one man own so many clothes and shoes?? She tsked tsked as she began to take out shirts, pants, jackets, shoes etc.

Now, I must only keep the things that "spark joy" she thought to herself. So for starters, she put aside the "Cafaub" pants and the green crocodile-leather shoes. Daoming Si would never forgive her if she threw those out, and even Shancai had to admit to herself, those were definite keepers. She would not be happily married now otherwise!

After she was done with his other shirts and pants and shoes, it was time to sort out his jackets. They lay in a huge mountain on their bed and Shancai sighed as she began the last leg of her task.

First was the black and white houndstooth coat. Si had pulled her into a hug on that bridge after his stabbing ordeal, and said that was her "love corner," wrapping his houndstooth coat securely around her. She had snuggled contentedly in his arms, knowing that there was nowhere else she would rather be.

Then was the purple leather jacket. He had worn that jacket when they had gone on that disastrous double date with Xiaoyou and what's-his-face. And they had almost kissed when they came out giggling from the haunted house. Thank goodnesss Xiaoyou was now married to Ximen instead of that jerk.

The maroon velvet hoodie. Si had jumped up and down like a delighted kid on their date, when she had been so happy that he was willing to stay back for an additional two years so they could graduate together. And it was soooo plush. She loved wearing it to sleep sometimes.

The blue denim jacket. Shancai giggled as she remembered Si's "disguise". No better than an ostrich trying to hide its head in the sand.

The green tweed jacket. He had stood on the bridge, declaring that he would chase her to Mars, holding that ridiculous piece of corn in his hand. And she had regretfully walked away.

The illuminati jacket. Si had crushed her to his chest that night she had been evicted from her home, begging her not to leave him and she had given him her silent assent. She had ended up living in his house after that, which was a step closer in their relationship.

His school uniform?? Shancai was astonished that he still had it. She chuckled when she thought of Zhuang Jie's stories. Better keep this, it would be great to show our kids and tell them the same stories, she thought. She could only imagine Daoming Si's thunderous scowl when that happened.

The thunderbolt suit. Si had shouted her name, chasing the bus until his feet could no longer carry him. She had run from the bus and back into his arms, how could she not?

At the very bottom of the pile, it was then she saw it. The red coat. The glorious crimson stood out against the grey bedsheets. The Superhero Coat. She held it close to her and she could still smell faintly the familiar scent of musk and bergamot...

7 years ago...

Daoming Si gently cradled Shancai in his arms as he carried her from his car to the house. She had been through a terrible ordeal and he shuddered to think what could have happened had he arrived two minutes too late. She could have been molested, or worse, raped. He couldn't contain his rage as he thought of those brutes placing their filthy hands on the girl he loved more than life itself. Those putangina, he swore under his breath, if he ever saw them again, he would rip their black hearts right out from their bodies!

Shancai was in a semi-conscious state, occasionally opening her eyes and then closing them again. Her arms were wound tightly around his neck, and the scent of his musk and bergamot cologne was intoxicating her nostrils. "Daoming Si," she murmured, "thank you for saving me."

"Don't be silly, I would do it again in a heartbeat, and as many times as it would take, because I love you," his voice softened as he looked into her half-open brown eyes.

"Daoming Si,"

"Mm?"

"You're my superhero in that red coat, because it looks like a superhero's cape. I know, you can be Batman. C-Batman because you're Chinese. And your car is the Batmobile. It looks like the Batmobile anyway.."

Si just chuckled as he listened to her ramblings. It seemed like that nasty situation had somewhat affected her ability to speak coherently. So he said nothing as she closed her eyes again and drifted off to sleep.

"Mr Liu," he called to the kind elderly butler, "prepare a bath."

As soon as the bath was ready, Si left her in the care of his servants and anxiously waited for her in his room. She appeared about a half hour later, clean, dressed but still slightly dazed.

"Do you want to sleep here tonight?" Si indicated to his bed. "I can take the sofa," he said as he got up to leave. But Shancai suddenly grabbed a hold on his wrist. "Can you sleep with me?" she asked him in a small voice. Si gulped and looked at her. He didn't know if he would be able to control himself, and he would rather die than take advantage of her when she was in such a vulnerable state. But she hadn't finished.

"Can you wear that red coat and hug me inside it when you sleep?" her voice had become even smaller.

Si gazed at her, slightly stunned. "It's your scent on it," she said, somewhat embarrassed. "It soothes me, and with the coat itself, I feel like I'm being protected by a superhero..."

Before she could finish, Si had put on the red coat and lain down on the bed, pulling her close to him. He wrapped the coat around her so that they were both enveloped by it. Tired out from the earlier events, they had fallen asleep almost immediately, Shancai breathing in the soothing scent of musk and bergamot, safe in Si's embrace, all night long.

Present day...

Shancai couldn't help smiling as she looked at the Superhero Coat. Daoming Si was definitely her superhero, and he forever would be. In fact all these coats had their own story to tell. She gave a resigned sigh and hung them all back in his closet. There was no way she could give any of them away, especially the red one. They were all dear to her, in one way or another, and they definitely sparked so much joy in her. Daoming Si would just have to keep all of them. And that red one was never going to the dry-cleaners, ever.
————————————————————————
AN2: I would like to thank everyone for showing me love on Twitter yesterday. I am so honoured to be a part of the Meteor Heaven project amongst such legendary authors and am blessed to have met so many wonderful people. Love you girls! ❤️