The Actual Kiss

Daoming Si closed the door of the resort's presidential suite. He locked and bolted it and looked at the tiny girl standing in front of him. Shancai stood nervously, twiddling her fingers, not daring to look at him.

"Why did you go out? I was worried sick!!"

Shancai gave a sigh. She was expecting this tirade from him.

"I couldn't sleep, so I went for a walk on the beach" she told him honestly.

"You went to look for Lei, didn't you?" His voice was cold and accusing. Despite herself, Shancai couldn't help the tears which started to pool in her eyes. "I didn't, I really didn't know he would be there...It's just..he looked so sad, so I wanted to comfort him..." Her voice started to falter.

"I woke up and couldn't find you! It's a good thing Jing arrived and asked me to look for Lei! I should have known you would be with him!"

His eyes shifted suspiciously, looking at her. "Did you want him to kiss you?"

Shancai had not looked at Si in all this time that they were talking. She was silent for a moment. Then she lifted her head and looked straight at him with her big brown eyes.

"Daoming Si, kiss me."

Si"s mouth fell open upon hearing her words. "What did you say?"

"I said, kiss me! Don't just stand there, do it!"

Si couldn't believe his ears. He was silently thanking the powers that be that was handing the girl of his dreams to him on a golden platter. He looked at Shancai and saw determination in her eyes, and he knew that she meant what she had just said.

He slowly walked over to her and enveloped her in his arms. He then leaned down and touched his lips on hers, gently at first but slowly his kisses were getting more urgent. And in his mind, the best thing was that Shancai was responding to his kisses. Her hands were tugging on his shirt and his hands were tangled in her hair. Without breaking their kiss, they started moving to the bed and fell onto it, he on top of her.

They kissed for what seemed like hours, limbs tangled comfortably together, before Si finally pulled away. "Shancai," he said breathlessly, "I think we should stop before you regret it." She looked at him and nodded her head shyly.

"Daoming Si, do you know why I asked you to kiss me?" He shook his head bewilderedly. "I wanted to know how it would feel, and whether it would prove that my feelings for you are real. And you know what, I have never been more sure that I want you, and only you to kiss me, now and forever. With Lei earlier, I had no such feelings. I wanted to push him away, but I must have been too shocked to move at that moment."

Si was stunned at her words, but his heart was singing. He had pursued and waited so long to hear her confess her feelings to him and now she had finally said it. It was like the most beautiful melody to his ears.

"Stupid girl," he chuckled. "Do you know how long I have waited to kiss those sweet lips of yours? I have never wanted to kiss anyone but you, and now that I have, I definitely don't want any other." Shancai smiled lovingly up at him. "Sleep with me tonight, it can't be comfortable in that rollaway."

"With pleasure," he grinned wickedly at her. Shancai gave him a light smack. "Don't go getting any creepy ideas! It's just sleeping!"

"Ok, ok. Goodnight my love." Si planted a chaste kiss on her lips and wrapped her in a hug. They then snuggled together under the blankets with Shancai falling asleep in his arms.

———————————————————————
Lei turned away from Jing and sat on the beach again, staring out to the ocean. She sat down next to him, but distant enough not to encroach into his personal space.

"If you have anything to say, you can say it and leave." Lei finally turned to look at her.

She then spoke, softly. "Lei, I know you are upset, and what I did was terrible. I cannot even imagine the hurt I had put you through. I truly am sorry and I know nothing I say can change anything. Growing up, you were my best friend and I feel awful having done this to you."

"So that is what I am to you? Just a best friend?"

Jing moved a little closer and put her hand on his shoulder. "You are more than a friend, more than a lover. But between you and me, I can never give you the love that you want. I love you but I can never possess you. What you feel for me is the same, if you choose to admit it."

Lei was silent for a while. He then looked at her again and gazed into her eyes. He had never thought about it like that before. Jing spoke further. "Shancai. You do feel something for her, right? I could see it in your eyes right from that day when you defended her in the cafeteria."

Lei couldn't help it but a lump appeared in his throat and his tears threatened to fall. He may not admit it to anyone but he indeed felt something more for Shancai than just a friend. But how could he? She belonged to his best friend and his brother, he could never do that to Si. Come hell or high water, even if Shancai did not accept Si, he could never be with her. He could only hide his love away, protecting her silently from behind, and being there for her when she needed him. His heart ached knowing that he could never have the two women which he loved the most.

"Jing, I may never see you again after this. But could you do something for me? Can you kiss me, for one last time?"

Jing put out her hand to caress his face and slowly and gently she placed her lips on his. He kissed her back fervently, as if to etch her in his mind forever. They finally pulled apart, and Jing got up. She walked away from him and he was left alone once more, with only his thoughts and the sound of the ocean crashing on the shore.