The Proposal

AN: If you have seen similar stories about this scene floating around, likely it came from the #5LinesOfMeteorGardenFanfic prompt over on DramaLindy 's Instagram account. As you may have already seen, a "spicy" version can be found on monicacantwrite ;) Credits also to @leilisabeth on Instagram for reminding me that the proposal on the show had no ring! This is the extended version of my 5 lines, hope you like it!
————————————————————————
Daoming Si sat on his bed, impatiently tapping his foot over and over again. What was taking them so long? Mrs Yu was supposed to be just taking measurements, for crying out loud, he thought to himself. Was she actually making the dress now?? That fiancée of his was just too stubborn, he mused ruefully. He had been all prepared to take her to Pronovias or Vera Wang or any other bridal couture house in Shanghai to choose her wedding dress. As a Daoming bride, she did not deserve anything less. But she had refused, saying that she wanted Mrs Yu to make her dress. She did not believe in spending so much money on a dress that she would only wear once. Si had argued that was the precise reason that she should let him spend that money, she would be only getting married once! (he hoped!) However he had reluctantly given in after some time, knowing Shancai's stubborn streak. In any case, he thought matter-of-factly, it did not really matter to him what she wore as she would look beautiful in anything. And further more, he chuckled to himself, that wedding dress would not stay long on her anyway. He was imagining how he would rip the dress from her body....when suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" he said, slightly annoyed at being awoken from his delicious daydream.

"Mr Ah Si, Miss Shancai and Mrs Yu have finished with their measurements. You may go to see them now," a maid's voice came through the door. Hearing that, Si's face lit up and he hastily made his way to Mrs Yu's room.

"Were you hatching chickens inside? What took so long?" he said in fake annoyance looking at the both of them. Mrs Yu beamed at him. "She's all yours now, Ah Si. I told her to stay the night."

"Thanks Yu Sao. I wouldn't have it any other way," he gave the old lady a wink which earned a furious blush from Shancai. He turned to his fiancée who had turned as red as beet. "Come, Shancai, there's something I want to show you." He grasped her unceremoniously by the collar of her jacket, with her protesting all the way. "Hey, Daoming Si, let me go! Where are you taking me?"

"Shhh," he shushed her. "You'll see soon enough." At the corridor leading to the balcony with the reflection pool, he gently released her. "Close your eyes, Shancai," he said as he took her hand and covered her eyes with his free hand. Shancai felt a tingling anticipation as he led her down the hallway and opened the door to the balcony. When they had stepped outside, he removed his hand from her eyes. "Surprise" he told her softly as he let go her hand from his grasp.

Shancai looked at the sight before her and she gave an audible gasp. It was the most beautiful thing she had seen in her life. A huge bouquet of red roses, much like the one he had given to her a a few days ago, lay in the middle of the reflection pool, and there were rose petals and candles everywhere. It was now dark, and the candles gave out an ethereal glow which set the mood for the most romantic sight Shancai had ever seen. Si had gone to check out the place about a half hour before taking Shancai there, and he was not disappointed himself. He was extremely grateful to Lei, Ximen and Meizuo for orchestrating the whole setting of the room. Much better than that overrated beating heart, he had thought to himself.

He stood a few inches away from Shancai, as she took in the breathtaking view. Now she turned around to face him, happy tears glistening  in her eyes. "Daoming Si, it's beautiful, thank you," she told him sincerely. He stepped towards her and enveloped her in his strong arms, drawing her close to him. Shancai sighed contentedly against his chest, her "love corner" as he had called it. After a while, he pulled away and rummaged for something in his pocket. Before taking it out, he looked into her eyes and spoke his heart.

"Shancai, I proposed to you that day in the wanton shop, not in the most romantic manner, I didn't even have a ring! And for that I'm sorry," he looked mournfully at the floor. "I just got too caught up in the moment and was so excited that I would have married you there and then. Even the 520 roses which I sent to your house couldn't make up for the perfect proposal which I wanted you to have. So today," he said as he got down on one knee, "Will you marry me Dong Shancai? I promise to love you all the days of my life, to be good to you and to listen to you. I told you that I would chase you to Mars, and I didn't expect that you would chase me to London. You have made me into a better man, a better person. We've been through too much to let go of each other again and I can't think of anything that would make me happier than for you to be my wife, to have a family with you, and to grow old with you..." Si's voice started to trail off as he felt choking sobs start to rise from his chest. Shancai stood listening to him, her own tears running down her face.

She kneeled down and cupped his face with both her hands, wiping his tears away with her thumbs. "Daoming Si" she whispered to him. "I don't care about a ring, or a perfect proposal, I would love to marry you and to be your wife, everyday of my life. I want to be the mother of your children, and to grow old with you with grandchildren by our side. You said it yourself, I chased you to London, so don't you ever doubt that I love you with every beat of my heart, and every moment of my life."

They smiled at each other through their tears. "I almost forgot the ring again!" Si suddenly exclaimed as he pulled the box out of his pocket and opened it. "I told you right here on this balcony that you are the only one that I would be willing to trade all the meteors for, do you remember?" he asked her gently. Shancai nodded speechlessly. "I had this specially made for you, it matches the necklace I gave you." He opened the box to reveal an amethyst, surrounded by tiny yellow diamonds and set in a meteor-shaped platinum ring. The purple and yellow sparkles danced alongside the lights of the flickering candles.

"Daoming Si, it's the most beautiful ring I have ever seen," she breathed. "And I love how special it is," she looked up at him with so much love shining through her eyes.

Si slipped the ring on her finger as he helped her up. She stood admiring it for a few seconds, before she lifted up her head towards him, and slowly but surely, touched her lips against his. Si's heart sang with joy as he felt her soft lips against his own, so seldom did she initiate any form of affection. She wound her arms around his waist and he pulled her in closer, deepening the kiss. They kissed passionately for what seemed like hours, lovingly captured in each other's embrace, arms locked around one another.

Suddenly, a growling sound could be heard, and they pulled away slightly. "Who was that?" they asked in unison. "Shancai," Si groaned. "Not again! Why do you always get hungry in times like these? I still haven't forgiven you for that ramen you made me eat after chasing that bus." Shancai looked at him sheepishly. "Sorry, you just awaken all my cravings," she said mischievously with a twinkle in her eye, "including for you." Si said nothing more but he lifted her up from the the ground and carried her to the kitchen, with her shrieking in his ear until he put her down. "Now eat," he told her. "Satisfy your hunger for food, and I'll make sure your hunger for me will be satisfied later on," he grinned at her as she rolled her eyes at him.

How he loved his tiny girl, with her big appetite for food, for life and especially for him. He couldn't wait to eat 3 meals with her everyday, and for the rest of their lives.