The Cupcake

AN: Cover photo taken from the Instagram account of @lindaisfangirling
———————————————————————-
Shancai sniffed appreciatively as the smells of lemon, vanilla and coconut filled her kitchen that summer afternoon. She was baking cupcakes for her daughter's school bake sale the following day. When she had been approached by the school to contribute to the bake sale, she had no doubt in her mind what she was going to bake.

Shancai had always loved cupcakes and until today, the Rabbit Hole had remained her favourite place for cupcakes. She must not have been alone in her opinion, as the Rabbit Hole still enjoyed thriving business after so many years. Her thoughts drifted off, as she closed her eyes to reminisce about the best cupcake she had ever eaten.

Flashback:
It was an ordinary day, just like any other, and Si and Shancai were having one of their usual lunch dates at the Rabbit Hole, Shancai's favourite restaurant. What was not ordinary, however, that it was Si who had suggested they eat here today. He would normally roll his eyes in fake horror at having to eat at such a pink, girly place, but surprise of all surprises, he had actually willingly suggested that they go there today.

Shancai ordered her favourite cupcakes and sat looking curiously at her handsome boyfriend. Usually calm and composed (when he wasn't pissed off!), today he appeared nervous and jittery. He was fidgeting with his fingers, and kept on looking around the restaurant distractedly.

"Are you okay? You seem rather out of sorts today," she asked him.

"I'm fine," he reassured her, but his face appeared anything but. Shancai knew better than to press him further, so she said nothing more.

Her cupcakes arrived and she eyed them delightedly. "Hmm, which one shall I try first? I think I'll have the strawberry one."

She reached out her hand to take the strawberry cupcake but Si stopped her. "How about trying the lemon one first? I heard it's good."

Shancai gave him a strange look but reached out to take the lemon cupcake instead. She took a bite of it and gave an satisfied moan. Si grinned at her. He loved watching his girlfriend eat. She somehow made everything that she ate taste just that much better.

She pushed the plate of cupcakes towards him. "Here, try one." He just shook his head and told her with a smile on his face, "I'm fine with my coffee. You enjoy them."

Shancai took another bite of her cupcake and then another. Suddenly her teeth bit on something hard. Curious, she tried to look for the object that almost broke her tooth. And when she finally saw what it was, she gave a gasp that echoed throughout the room. She held in her hand a simple, elegant white gold band with a beautiful princess cut diamond. Its sparkle resonated in the afternoon sunlight which came through the window.

"Daoming Si!!" she gave a hoarse whisper. "Is this...is this...?"

Si was grinning inwardly at the shock registered on Shancai's delicate features but outwardly, his eyes and expression were filled with so much love as he looked at his tiny girl.

"Shancai, I have known since the beginning that you are the only one for me. I love you so much and even more as each day passes. Will you make me the happiest man on the planet by agreeing to marry me?"

Shancai began to feel the tears running down her cheeks as she nodded her head at him. "Yes, yes, yes I will marry you. In this lifetime and in every lifetime."

Si slipped the ring on her finger and as they embraced, it felt like time stood still and they were the only two people trapped in their little world of happiness.

Shancai gave a dreamy sigh as she looked at her ring. She had never taken it off since the day that she had agreed to become Mrs Daoming Si.

Suddenly, she felt the heat in her body begin to rise as she remembered something else. Cupcakes had not only been significant when Si proposed to her, but also the night when their daughter was conceived. She remembered how Si had brought home her favourite cupcakes from Rabbit Hole that night. She had meant to savour the cupcakes all by herself but her husband was in one of his naughty moods. So instead of her eating the cupcakes, Si had ravished her and licked the cream of the cupcakes off her bare body, which well...everyone knew then what resulted nine months later.

She started to blush furiously at the recollection, and quickly smacked her face lightly to bring her back down to earth. She could not afford to burn those cupcakes she had baking in the oven!

As she was trying to rid herself of her naughty thoughts, she felt a pair of strong arms encircle her waist from behind and squeeze her in a tight hug.

"What do we have here?" Si rested his chin on top of his wife's head.

"I'm making cupcakes for our daughter's school bake sale tomorrow," she replied him, but her face was still flushed. Her redness did not escape her husband's notice and he looked at her mischievously with a twinkle in his eye.

"Are you thinking about those cupcakes? Without which you wouldn't even need to be making these cupcakes in the first place?" he teased her, causing her to blush even more.

"Go away Daoming Si," his wife tried to shoo him out from the kitchen. "I need to get this done, otherwise our daughter will have nothing for the bake sale tomorrow."

He ignored her and swiped a cupcake from the kitchen table, simultaneously lifting her off the ground and carrying her towards their bedroom. She shrieked in his ear asking to be put down until he finally gave in.

"Ok, ok love, I'll let you finish baking your cupcakes. Here, take this back," he said as he returned the stolen cupcake to her. He then pressed a kiss on her forehead and left the kitchen.

That night, Shancai prepared to get ready for bed. Si was out with F3 and her daughter was already asleep. She saw a note on her bedside table as she was climbing into bed, and beside it was a single cupcake with lemon and vanilla frosting. The note read in Si's sprawling handwriting, "Wait up for me my love, I think it's time that our daughter has a sibling."

Shancai couldn't help but chuckle to herself as she settled herself into bed and waited for her husband. It was going to be quite a night.