Nurse

Key Nine: Nurse:

Ami was asleep in her bed. She held her hand to her stomach. Footsteps echoed into the room. They paused over the bed. A shadowy figure in the shape of a nurse stood over her bed with glowing red eyes. Its mouth opened wide, revealing a black fanged smile.

"All hail our king," the creature said. It raised up its clawed right. But then, it turned around.

"Who's there?" it asked. Shion stood off in the corner.

"And what do we have here?" she asked. "You wouldn't be thinking of harming that child, would you?" The shadowy nurse smiled.

"Who's asking?" it asked.

"Me."

"And who is me?"

Shion smirked. Her kitsune mask on her head did the same. She took a step forward. The soft sound of crying babies followed in her wake. The shadowy nurse began to tremble.

"What... What is this?" she asked. "Who are you?"

"Tell me who you are first," Shion said. "I'm sure that child in her belly would like to know too." The shadowy looked down at the sleeping teenage girl.

"I am an agent from hell," it said. "I have come for our king."

"Your king?" Shion asked.

"Yes," the nurse said. "This child will be our king."

"I can't let you do that."

"And why is that?"

"The child does not want to go with you."

"And how do you know this?"

"He spoke to me."

The shadowy nurse all but laughed. "Don't be ridiculous!" Shion gave her a little smile.

"They speak to me," she said. "They all do!" Her face looked more like a demonic fox. Those golden eyes seemed to glow in the dark. The laughter of children filled the room. The shadowy figure began to shake.

"Stay back! Stay back!" it shouted. "Monster! Monster!" Shion raised her eyebrow.

"Me?" she asked. "You're the one about to rip a child out of his home and you call me the monster?" The shadowy nurse was about to speak when it heard a low voice grumbling. It and Shion turned to see Ami slowly waking up.

"Oh no," the shadowy nurse said. The mother-to-be squinted, half asleep.

"Heh?" she asked. "Who are you?" The creature about jumped.

"She can see me?" it asked. It shook its head. "Of course she can. It's our king's doing!"

"Wha?" Ami asked. "What are you talking about?" Shion walked to the bed.

"Go back to sleep," she whispered. "We are nobody. You are just dreaming." The shadowy figure looked at her. Is she serious? She can't expect her to believe all of that.

"Oh..." Ami muttered. She drew eyes closed. The shadowy figure's eyes widened.

She actually bought it?!

Shion turned back to the creature. "I'm sorry. But I can't let you take this child."

"Do you even know who he is?" the creature asked.

"Yes."

"Whose side are you?"

"My own."

"Who are you?"

"I am nobody. I just answer to unborn children."

The shadowy figure shivered and backed away. "You are creepy." It vanished into thin air. Shion shook her head before walking over to Ami.

"It's okay," she whispered to her belly. "I got rid of it. You don't have to worry. I will keep watch over you until you are born. Please don't cause more trouble for your mother, okay? Good night." Shion bowed and vanished into thin air.

By morning, Lavi walked into Ami's room. He knocked on the open door.

"Hello?" he whispered. "Are you awake yet?" The angel soft mumbling from the room. He poked his head inside.

"Lavi?" Ami said in a soft voice. The angel walked over to her bed.

"Hey," he said. "How are you?"

"Good," she said. "When do I get to go home?"

"Later today," Lavi said.

"Oh," Ami said. He knelt down next to her. The angel noticed the puzzled look on her face.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I had this weird dream last night," she said. The angel raised his eyebrow.

"A dream?" he asked.

"There were two people in my room," Ami said. "They were talking, but I couldn't understand what they were saying."

"What did they look like?" Lavi asked. His voice trembled as he spoke. His hands shook as he reached for her.

"One of them looked like a nurse covered in all black," Ami said. "The other was a woman in a purple kimono with a kitsune mask on her head. I think I have seen her before too. In fact, I know I have. She was in my room talking to me. I don't remember what was said, though." The whole time, Lavi began to panic. He quickly drew back his hands.

"Lavi?" Ami asked. The angel stood and walked out of the room looking so pale.

"What's the matter? Lavi?" Ami asked. The door closed behind him. She put her hand to her chest as she shivered. Lavi...