Battle

Key Nineteen: Battle:

How many were there? Lavi did a quick count. Had to be about nine or ten people in the room. Bookman came to his side.

"Think we can take them?" the younger angel asked.

"There is so many of them," Bookman said. "This will call for a mass exorcism."

"But there is only two of us here," Lavi said.

"I think we'll be enough," the older angel said. "Your innocence still works?"

"Yes."

"Good to know." Bookman pulled out a stack of charms. One woman stepped forward. She looked like a sleep depraved zombie. Her eyes glowed bright red. Bookman had no emotion on his face. He slapped a charm to her forehead. The woman screamed as steam came from her forehead. She collapsed at his feet.

"That's one," Lavi said. He took a look around them. A man in a suit flew towards him with his mouth open. The father-to-be smirked. He took out the possessed man with one smack of his hammer. His target screamed and hit the floor.

"That's two down," Lavi said. "Who's up next?" The possessed people started wandering in closer. Their eyes glowed red.

"You won't stop us," they said.

"Heh," Lavi said. "We'll see about that." Each person in the room was exorcised. They attacked the angels one by one. It seemed easy, but something didn't feel right. Lavi kept his eyes peeled around them.

Come on... Come on...

Lavi turned to look behind him. A red thread hung in the air around the room. The angel had a confused look on her face.

"What is this around the room?" he asked.

"What are you talking about?" Bookman asked. Lavi walked over to the string hanging above their heads.

"Lavi?" Bookman asked. The younger angel reached up and touched the thread.

"Don't!" his mentor shouted. Lavi's fingertips brushed up against the string.

Suddenly, it all turned black.

Lavi opened her eyes. He could hear a faint dripping noise in the background. The cold touched his skin, but he couldn't feel anything else.

Where am I?

A baby started crying in the background. Lavi turned his head. Black clouds floated in front of him. The angel narrowed his eye.

"I will not fall for this," he growled. "I do not have time to play this game! Take to where Ami is!" Harsh whispering filled the air. He tried to make out what they were saying. That red string hung floating in the air. The angel reached up to touch it. Another burst of cold ran through his body. The crying turned into screaming. Lavi let go of the string. His eye widened as he started breathing heavily.

"Who are you?" he asked. "Tell me where Ami is!" He began to hear a faint chanting in the distance. Lavi turned his head. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. He puffed up his cheeks.

Suddenly, something or someone grabbed him on the shoulder. Lavi froze as his jaw dropped. Nails sank into his spine. He tried to think of anything, something to say, but the words were frozen in his mouth. The angel glanced behind him. A darkened figure smiled.

"All hail our king," it whispered. It wasn't the only one.

All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king.

The chanting grew louder and clearer together. Lavi couldn't see where it was coming from. He drew out his hammer.

"Enough of this!" the angel shouted. "Come out and show yourself." Laughter filled the empty blackness. Lavi turned to find the source. That damned chanting came again.

All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king.

Footsteps inched towards him. There couldn't be that many of them. Lavi gritted his teeth.

"You do not scare me!" he barked.

All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king.

"how me your king!" Lavi shouted. The sound of a baby crying filled the darkness. The darkened figure's eyes started to glow green.

"It's your baby!" it said.

"Lavi!" a familiar voice yelled. The angel looked up to see flaming charms cutting through the darkness. Different figures got hit in the back. Their silent screams made Lavi wince. It didn't stop their chanting.

All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king. All hail our king.

One by one, they vanished. Lavi's heart pounded against his chest. When the last shadow vanished, Bookman stood inches away from him.

"You idiot!" he shouted. "I told you not to touch the thread!" Lavi rubbed the back of his head.

"Sorry about that," he said. Bookman whacked him on the head.

"Ow!" the younger angel said.

"Idiot," his mentor said.

Lavi awoke back in the waiting room. He found Bookman standing over him.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," Lavi said. He sat up and took a look around. Everything looked normal in the waiting room again. The people were acting like they usually would looking at their cell phones or reading random magazines. The TV was playing in the background. Lavi couldn't see that thread anywhere.

"Is it over?" he asked.

"Not quite," Bookman said. "This place is still possessed." Lavi jumped to his feet.

"We have to right Ami and get her out of here," he said.

"Right," Bookman said. The angels walked over to the door leading back to the offices. To Lavi's surprise, he found that he could open the door with ease now.

There was still some red thread overhead.