Calling

Key Sixteen: Calling:

He speaks enough though he has no voice yet. They can all hear him. Is he aware of who he is? Doubtful, but one has to wonder at this point. More and more demons are watching Ami as she goes through daily life. For the most part, they have not tried to contact her. Lavi has stayed by her, but he is starting to have his doubts.

"When do you want to go back?" Bookman asked. Lavi shrugged and shook his head.

"I don't think I can," he said.

"Don't worry," Bookman said. "Just tell them your story and they might show leniency on you."

"That's not it," Lavi said.

"Then what is it?" his mentor asked. The angel shook his head. He drew his knees to his chest. Bookman glared at him.

"Remember what I said," he said.

"Yeah, yeah," Lavi muttered. "I'm just tired." Bookman took a drag of his cigarette. He already made up his mind to take control of the situation. First, he needed to separate Lavi from Ami and the baby. That might be easier given the current situation.

"Go and rest," he said.

"Sure," Lavi said. He stood up and walked over to the couch. The angel lay down and went to sleep. Bookman narrowed his eyes. If he didn't speed up, that baby would be born before he knew it. That time was running at them as fast as it could.

Heaven's starting to hear about this child or rather the rumors.

"Can such a thing be possible?"

"This has never happened before."

"Whose baby is it?"

"What should we do?"

The top officials gathered for the meeting. They looked at each other through the shadows.

"What do we know about this nephilim child?" one of the top officials asked. Silence filled the room.

"Whose baby is it?" another asked.

"We don't know yet," a third one said. "We are still looking for the answer."

"That's not good enough!" the first official said. "We cannot let this child be born."

"But how do we stop it?" the second official asked. "Where is the child? There are many pregnant women in the world." Low whispers filled the room.

"We'll look for the child," the fourth official said.

"But how?" the fifth official said.

"We will find a way."

"Um..."

All eyes turned to the second official.

"What?" the first one asked. The official looked down at his hands.

"Well..."

"Speak!"

"I think I found the child in question." The room fell silent.

"When did this happen?"

"Last night, I believe."

"And you didn't think to tell us?"

"I'm telling you now."

"Where is it?"

"Somewhere in China from last I heard. We can't tell you anything else."

"Why is that?"

"We are still looking into it."

"Do you have any other information?"

"Not really."

"That's not good enough!"

"But sir, we are in the middle of a war. Our resources are being stretched thin here. We can't keep track of the battlefield and the living world anymore."

"Yeah, yeah. Now what do we do about the child?" Not a single angel spoke up. They all just looked at each other. The silence hung in the air like a bloated corpse.

"Wait... are you suggesting that we...?"

"No way!"

"What choice do we have?"

"We can't kill a baby!"

"We can't let it be born either!"

"We do not kill the innocent!"

"This child is not innocent!"

"But he hasn't done anything yet."

"We can't risk it!" This argument will end up going around in circles again. The leader of the group listened to all of the arguing and shouting. If he had to hear this one more time...

"Enough!" he shouted. The room went quiet. The leader lowered his hands.

"This child is a threat to us all," he said. "We cannot let it reach maturity."

"But sir..." one of the official spoke.

"Silence!" the leader shouted. He took a breath. "For now, we track down the child. We will not take action until we have all the information needed. Any rogue attacks will make things even worse. The last thing we need is to destroy the living world even further. Understood?"

"Yes," the officials grumbled. The leader calmed down and took a breath.

"Good," he said. "That is all." But, it won't be. For now, all is quiet and watching the living world before the next move.

Meanwhile, Lavi's starting fear his own son.