Chapter 2: Blue

Pitch black darkness, pin drop silence. You opened your eyes but there was no visible change. The darkness still remained. As you kept blinking, you hoped you'd see a light, but there was no ray of success. You drew in a breath, but suddenly found your lungs were out of air, you felt suffocated. Attempting to move around, you finally felt your limbs, but only to realize you were floating. As you felt water currents flowing in between your legs and arms, you couldn't help but question: were you possibly drowning?

Blinded by darkness, deafened by silence, numbed by suffocation, you clung to your dear life with a silent prayer for release.

Eyes closed tightly, you wished it was just a dream.

In a flash, you opened your eyes, managing to draw in a deep breath. You found yourself sat up on the bed, drenched in sweat, hyperventilating.

"Not again..." you muttered to yourself, rubbing your eyes, tossing to the side, drifting back to sleep, praying it will not continue.

This 'nightmare' didn't smell strange to you at all. Haunted by this vision for quite sometime was what you have been accustomed to. But that did not mean you necessarily took the pleasure in it. For no matter how often you've experienced this, each time felt as horrid as the very first.

And to your horror, this became somewhat of a frequent occurrence of late. You cursed the heavens as you faced the darkness once more. You became worried, are you going mad as they all say? As you prepared your heart to endure the worst, suddenly the darkness disappeared.

A pair of blue eyes occupied your vision completely, staring right back at you.

Not long after, you were awake.

You returned to consciousness as usual. Only this time, you remained in bed, protected by the most peaceful state of mind. Slowly sitting up, you tried to recall those blue eyes, questioning yourself: Why now?

That question kept resurfacing when those blue eyes decided to visit you every night since then. On the third consecutive night, you developed a deeper understanding. When you were on the verge of suffocation, 'Blue' (as you called them) would be your distraction. They pulled you out of the dark waters, opened your eyes to the light, breathed air into your lungs, and released you from the vision that constantly haunted your mind, dressed up as a nightmare.

When you woke up, you didn't want to forget, you wanted to remember.

More questions kept the nights hectic. You'd wonder to whom did 'Blue' belong. Surely it must have been someone of association. And if not, who was it?

'Blue' kept you of longer company as the nights went by, enabling you to witness more in it. Those eyes, they spoke to you of pain, loss and vengeance. But they also spoke of immense vulnerability. And you did admit, it did not take long for you to empathize.

To empathize those eyes that saved you, those eyes that moved you, and those eyes that will always guard you in the midst of slumber.

——-

"Why? Are you afraid?"

"Why would I be?"

****************************

Another night, and there she was again, at the lake, dangerously close to James Delaney. Like clockwork, James reached out to touch the woman, his mind fully aware of the risk of waking up to broad daylight.

But tonight, either time has slowed down, or the dream had developed further. For his hungry fingers finally gripped on her shoulders. The grip proved to be intense enough, the woman gasped and proceeded to giggle in amusement. She was impressed. As his fingers moved around, the outline of her figure appeared a bit more distinct. To his surprise, she was nude just as he was. Not a single piece of clothing stood between her skin and his own. She leaned in, moaning softly into his ear when his grip turned hard as steel.

"Are you...are you real?" James heard himself inquire in desperation.

"I am..." pulling back, she eyed him "...if you want me to be" not leaving an inch of his face unattended.

James swore his eyes were opened wide, yet this face was simply unrecognizable.

"I'm here...I'll always be here" she continued,

"...You just need to find me" her ethereal voice rang in his ears.

"I know who you are...James Delaney," she whispered, lips brushing against his, summoning the leaves to rustle frantically.

Frantic rustle turned to frantic crackle of a fire amidst the heavy rain, and James was awake again, to his dismay.