Chapter 4: Find me

The memory of the mysterious woman, plunged in the deep waters, kept playing in his mind as James swung his coat over his shoulders. Before he reached for his gloves from the coat pocket, he began to wonder. He wondered whether this person was real, or just another addition to his own madness.

And if she were to be real, whether could she be? Questions lingered in his mind as always. Finally dressed once more, he left the left the lake, heading back to town.

————–

"Y/N!"
You spun around suddenly, smiling at the sight of a familiar face running towards you.

"Oi Miss! The money?"

The bellowing voice of the butcher made your eyes roll. "For goodness sakes, after all this time..." you said, digging your hand into the cloth pouch, carefully taking out some coins, "...you still think I'd run?" handing it over to him. The butcher smiled teasingly.

Squeezing out of the packed crowd bargaining over meat, fish and other goods sold near the port, you walked over to Michael Godfrey, who recovered his breath from running.

"Good Morning, shouldn't you be taking minutes?" you asked with the concerning tone. He laughed while panting.
"Hah...unfortunately... I am late...today" he panted, allowing you to adjust his bow and straighten his coat.
"You overslept?" raising eyebrows, you asked, to which he nodded aggressively "Then why?-"
"I don't have much time but...will you get me the-?" he paused, aware of an officer pass by. You quickly nodded, placing your hand on his shoulder "Yes, I will" you smiled, seeing him sigh in relief "Now...off will you!"

As he ran off, you shook your head, turning back.

"You will have the meat ready by midday, yes?" you asked the butcher, with a voice loud enough to pierce through the babble of the crowd.

"Aye Miss"

You took a deep breath and looked up at the sky. Another day in London, with duties and challenges a many. But for some reason you felt more refreshed, you felt alive. Smiling, you prepared oneself emotionally to face them all, hoping it will not be as dreary as the grey clouds that hovered over the morning sky.

"Positively ravishing as always...my darling" that revolting voice made the hairs of your neck stand. Sighing, you turned around unwillingly to the sight of a familiar face, which you dreaded to call 'familiar'.

"Beldon..." You muttered with no interest.
"Mr.Whitby" the man corrected, his index finger pointed at you, "Mr.Whitby would be more suitable to use for someone of your..." he said eyeing you "...position. I've told you this many times Y/N, and yet, you are stubborn as ever"
"That's because I tend to give off an unfavorable attitude for those who do not deserve my kindness" you replied, your cold expression untouched.

The man cackled. Though in his mid 30's, self-claimed merchant Beldon Whitby gave off an aura that an old, prideful and strangely perverted man could relate to, and which you just could not stand. He always succeeded in making you feel uncomfortable, even in the most comfortable places in London.
"Such a pity, for you are such an exquisitely exotic being" you held your breath as you felt his gaze wash all over you "...so well versed in our native tongue...for someone so exotic"
"Shouldn't you be somewhere more suited to your taste? You asked, feeling the need the literally wash yourself after all that.
"I could indeed, with all my wealth...but how could I bear to go on without seeing you?" he asked in return, circling you like a hawk " ...if I were to be your master..-"
"Which will never happen!" you replied in haste.
"IF..." anger was visible in his tone and in his face, frightening you, "...then I'd reward you well for all the services you could provide me" calming himself once again.
"Well...unlike you, I am quite occupied. So if you excuse me..." you walked hurriedly away, distancing yourself from him.
"You will come to me, I'm sure of it" he called out behind you.
"Fat bloody chance", you muttered under your breath. Unaware of your surroundings, you accidentally bumped into an old man passing through. Though you did not waste time to apologize, the man angrily spat on the ground.
"Madwoman" he hissed at you as he walked past.

"Of course", you nodded without a surprise, as you noticed a similar look of disgust from some of the passerby's. Being treated as an outcast was what you were always used to. But once in a while, you could not help but feel your heart get heavy, swallowed by the fear of being unaccepted. The reason it happened once in a while was because you concealed it well enough. Before you could concoct yourself a distraction from all this negativity, you were pulled away to the side.

It was Winter. The sight of her made your eyes shine bright.
"You're here just in time..." your voice showed enough gratitude. Winter smiled. Even when she was covered with soot, or worn the dirtiest of clothes, you always found Winter to be quite beautiful. Knowing her since she was a 'wee lass,' you loved Winter like she was your younger sister. When she kept you company, you didn't feel like an outcast in anyway for it was something you both could relate and confide in.
"Look..." her palm opened to reveal of a few pieces of gold. Looking closer, you smiled biting your lower lip.
"Who was it this time?" you asked as you held one of the gold teeth. Winter merely shrugged. "Right" you muttered "...and I'm quite sure I wouldn't know anyway" shrugging along with her. The sight of a dead man washed up on the shore at dawn, was a concept you did not care to consider 'normal', but eventually ended up considering it as such, as the years went past.
"You look different today," said Winter, eyeing you. As you both walked together, you narrowed your eyebrows, "Really? How so?" suddenly looking down at yourself when you felt her fingers on your cheek.
"Your face..." she spoke, " ...it glows"
You were taken by surprise, only to remind yourself of the night before. With blushed cheeks, you cleared your throat, "Whatever do you mean?". "Liar..." Winter replied merely with a mischievous grin, darkening your blushes even more.
"No! Don't dare go there," you protested, still blushing "...nothing happened" shaking your head, you began to chuckle.

But before you could finish, your left foot caught between a crack on the road, resulting to you hurtling to the floor. It all happened so quickly, even winter was too late to stop you. As you reached halfway, in a flash, two strong hands caught you by the shoulders.

"Ah..." you chuckled embarrassingly, "My apologies...I can be very clumsy sometimes. Thank you very much kind sir..." you smiled as you looked up to find a man dressed in black. He suddenly appeared to be stunned by your face for a few seconds. You were filled with worry for the man, until you hear him grunt in acknowledgment, releasing you from his hold. You nodded, walking past him.

"Was he mute or did I just scare him off?" you casually asked Winter, who didn't seem as worried as you were of the man being mentioned.
"You've never met James Delaney, have ya?" she asked. You gasped.

All the stories of the man, the savage, the son of Horace Delaney, who came back from Africa, you were suddenly reminded of them.
"That was James Delaney?" your eyes widened, "But He didn't seem so horrid now did he?" you continued "Hang on, you know him?" asking young girl. Winter nodded, "Normally he is not the man to be alarmed this way..."
You sighed with concern, "Oh dear, I hope he is alright".

A few paces later, you froze. Turning your head, you looked over to find the figure had disappeared. For some reason, you were suddenly reminded of Blue, involuntarily wondering whether...then suddenly shaking off such delirious ideas.

Surely not him, i don't even know him. You thought.

———-

"Don't you dare go there...Nothing happened"

Timing was apt, and James' reflexes were quick, for he managed to save Winter's friend from a horrible fall.

"...Thank you very much kind sir" the young woman looked up with a bright smile, finally revealing her face.
James' eyes widened. Suddenly, his eyes were blinded by visions.

He heard the leaves rustle, the water splash, the intriguing words exchanged by two strangers.
"Why? Are you afraid?"
"Why would i be?"

He was reminded of that voice which allured and haunted him, the firm grip that incited moans, the grazing of lips. Finally leading to the hungriest of kisses, leading to physical exchanges so wild and passionate.

He saw it all; except it was the clearest he had ever seen.

And for the first time, the woman was visible, down to every detail on her face.

And there she was, saved from a fall, looking at him with much concern.
James, suddenly aware of his stunned nature, merely grunted. He didn't move an inch as she walked away, his body frozen, haunted by those words which finally made sense.

"How? How will i find you?"
"You'll know"